Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My First Medal

RammyLad1

Thanks to the forum I recentley obtained the victory medal for Richard Raynerd 88469 R F A who is rememberd on my local war memorial at Holcombe church in Ramsbottom.I would like to publicly thank forum member Scuber for his help in getting this medal " home".

Until this moment collecting medals never interested me but now I've got my first local lad I think I've been bitten by the bug!!!

Now just have to track down his British and 1915 star.

Duncan.

Congratulations Duncan,

It's a great hobby and particularly addictive!! I'll let you know if I spot anything from your area.

Regards, Robert

Thanks Robert

A very fortuitous event.

Would you suggest posting a wish list in the magazine you did the ambush at macroom article on ?

Duncan

PS the wife thinks that your hand writing is the most beautiful she has seen !!!.

wish you luck on tracking down the star and the BWM

collecting medals its not like its life and death its more important than that

Cheers

I have been considering buying some medals and then finding out about the person they were awarded to.

I would like to obtain family medals but i guess this is a long shot.

Any advice on where to look for medals

Regards Terry.

Thanks Robert

A very fortuitous event.

Would you suggest posting a wish list in the magazine you did the ambush at macroom article on ?

Duncan

PS the wife thinks that your hand writing is the most beautiful she has seen !!!.

Hi Duncan,

Yes, I think that would be a great idea. If you subscribe to the magazine, then the adverts under 'wanted' and also the 'medal tracker' sections are free. There is a good chance that you will strike lucky if you repeat the entries on a regular basis. Good luck.

Please thank your wife for her comment regarding my handwritng--I must have been having a good day--only joking!!!

Regards, Robert

Hi Robert

Just took a subscription out online. I'll give it a dabble at the least it will be another area of interest to read about.

Regards, Duncan

Congratulations! As you continue your medal-collecting journey, you will meet the men who received them -- and will never forget them.

I have been considering buying some medals and then finding out about the person they were awarded to.

Regards Terry.

You can find them on ebay and several reputable dealers have websites as well.

Good luck.

Regards Terry.

A long shot perhaps, but medals do sometimes find their way "home". Last January I needed to liberate funds (to pay my tax bill :doh:) and sold a dozen WW1 duos and trios on ebay that I had purchased a few years ago in more prosperous times.

I was delighted to recieve an e-mail from the ebay-winner of one particular duo: to thank me, and say that they were his great-uncle's medals, and how happy his family were to have them back.

Less happily, sometimes the War Medal no longer exists: I remember in 1978, (when I was a Great War-mad 14 year-old, with two grandfathers still alive who were happy to tell me all about the Western Front where they had both fought), you could buy a Victory Medal for 50p - I remember a dealer at The Arches, Charing Cross, who had a big shoe-box absolutely full of them - several hundred. But War Medals (although of course theoretically slightly more numerous) were two pounds and he had a small ice-cream tub of these (perhaps two dozen). When I enquired why the difference in price and quantity, the dealer said that he thought that after the war hundreds of thousands of the latter had been sold by their hard-up owners for a few shillings, and they had been melted-down for their silver content.:unsure: Victory medals, being of base-metal, were not worth melting-down.

William

I've had the fortunate experience of tracking two sets of WW 1 medals found in a home in Winnipeg. The gentleman they came from were Brother-In- Laws. One set has gone home to the Regiment that takes care of the particular battalion. He was bachelor from Ireland and prospector in the North of Manitoba. The other set I found a granddaughter who doesn't want to contact me so they will go to the Anglican Church he was a member of and buried there. Often WW 1 medals are advertised as being found in , " Lost Trails" site of the Canadian Legion Magazine from the U.K. most often these are the medals of men who immigrated to Canada from the U.K. pre-war, enlisted in the Cdn. Army and stayed in the U.K. after the war.

• 1 month later...

My wish list is now in the medal tracker section of the september edition of medal news.

A Booth-171668-MGC-BWM, Victory

J Counter-TS/ 4288-ASC- Trio

R Raynerd-88469-RFA- BWM , 1914 -1915 star.

If they are out there, lets bring them home.

Duncan

Hi Chaps, thought i was lucky about two years ago at a military fair, i came across my G Uncle's Walter Ashe BWM, then told

a few days later when showing it off that it was skimmed and renamed. not saying it had anything to do with dealer, maybe

family sold the real medal when times were hard and then when they got a bit of money bought one and got it renamed.

Did this often happen ?, still got medal and would'nt part with it but it put a bit of a damper on it.

Walter.

then told a few days later when showing it off that it was skimmed and renamed. not saying it had anything to do with dealer, maybe

family sold the real medal when times were hard and then when they got a bit of money bought one and got it renamed.

Did this often happen ?, Walter.

Walter, this did happen frequently,though fortunately not too frequently,usually as a result of losing the Medal,or having it/them stolen,rather than go to the expense and trouble of accquiring an official replacement,through the Army Medal Office as was, veterans would buy an example of the missing medal from a flea market/pawnbrokers,etc and have them renamed to themselves,it certainly would be unlikely that a dealer would purposely rename a medal in this way as up until very recently this would have reduced its then nominal value to even less as scrap,it is only in the last thirty or so years that the value of WW1 medals has increased to a "sensible" value in alliance to what they represent. [eg: in the 1960s the first Spink Valuation Book was published and the BWM was then valued at IIRC 10/6d[52 & a half pence},with the Victory at 7/6d & the Stars at 25/~ & 7/6d respectively,a TFWM due to scarity was valued as was the MM at £4!!!!]:poppy:

HB