Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Index Cards

RFT

World War 1 Medal Index Cards

This topic may have been raised before:

Many, if not all of us, have accessed the WW1 Medal Index Cards but what is known of the people who completed said cards?

Do we have any names?

Medal Index Cards were completed by 'common-or-garden' army clerks. I think we would be hard pressed to find any actual names of the clerks responsible for these administrative duties. Just my thoughts :)

Thanks for your reply Andrew.

Such a shame that more is not known. Some of the handwriting in these documents is first class and not so in others.

Rob.

Well talking about hand writing Rob, take a look at this Medal Index Card, note the 'shadow' writing of the name.

I've looked at hundred of MICs over the years and have never seen one like this before.

Cheers, Andrew

post-47732-0-78444500-1309689479.jpg

What you do notice if you get to see any number of them is that there are a number of identical Hands writing them,even within a Regiment,perhaps three or four persons compiling the Cards of a Particular Regiment ,even @ Battalion level. :poppy: They also serve... It must have been a monumental task...

I think you will find, like much of the military administration at home during the war, that the cards were made out by civilian clerks.

TR

Hi Andrew,

This looks like the work of a signwriter rather than a clerk (unless he was both!)

Rob.