Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MelPack

Richard

what sized area would that be please?

Sandra

Sandra

I reckon each of the numbered boxes are 1000x 1000 yards judging from the key, so thats 1 million square yards per box.

I've asked for info on 8 boxes so 8 million square yards or about 2.58 square miles or 668.9 hectares.

I'm sure if I got the calculation wrong I'll be corrected.

Richard

Thanks Richard ... I will do a conversion and see if that equates to the square kilometer that we worked out that it might be.

Bright Blessings

Sandra

I have now had the following replay from CWGC archives:

Thank you for your e-mail.

According to our records there were recoveries after the end of the war from the majority of squares you quoted. For instance:-

36.N.13. - numerous graves from this square can be found in Rue Petillion Military Cemetery, Royal Irish Rifles Graveyard, Pont-du-Hem Military Cemetery, Canadian Cemetery No.2 and Aubers Ridge British Cemetery.

36.N.14. – graves from this square can be found in Royal Irish Rifles Graveyard and Aubers Ridge British Cemetery

36.N.15. - graves from this square can be found in Rue Petillion Military Cemetery and Cabaret Rouge British Cemetery

36.N.19. - graves from this square can be found in Rue Petillion Military Cemetery, Royal Irish Rifles Graveyard and Aubers Ridge British Cemetery

36.N.20. – no details found of any recoveries from this square

36.N.21. – no details found of any recoveries from this square

36.N.25. – graves from this square can be found in Rue Petillion Military Cemetery and Aubers Ridge British Cemetery

36.N.26. – a grave from this square can be found in Cabaret Rouge British Cemetery

36.N.27. - no details found of any recoveries from this square

I trust you find this information useful.

Yours sincerely

If you refer to the trench map you can work out which areas were searched after the war and which I think were not.

The reference "no details found of any recoveries from this square" could indicate in my view possible sites for further investigation.

Richard

I have asked an additional question

Would it be safe to assume that "no details found of any recoveries from this square" indicates that no search for graves in that area was carried out?

The answer was:

"we do not have details of the Grave Registration Units failed searches and we know that there are gaps in our records, I do not believe it is safe to assume that any particular square was not searched"

Richard

On the other hand it is not safe to assume that those squares have!

<br />On the other hand it is not safe to assume that those squares have!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I agree too, especially when you look where squares N20 and N21 are in relation to where the 2/7th Warwicks attacked

Richard

Tim is at work this weekend ... I sent him the link but he wont talk to us till Tuesday at the earliest ...

Although I have a personal  interest in speculating where further members of 182 MGC and 2/7 Warks might be, I am sceptical about the possibility of further graves in squares N.20 and N.21.

The ground rises from the British perspective and any activity at the time would have drawn attention and been likely to have been targeted. I would guess one factor in the choice of Pheasant Wood was that it was shielded from British view.

Having never been to France and no visual mind picture of the area coupled with a eye glaze problem when it comes to military maps, is the area farmland now or does it have buildings on it?  Is it about 1 kilometre square?  

Bright Blessings

Sandra

The area is farmland, with very few isolated buildings. Each of the squares being referred to are about 1 square kilometre. Viewable on Google maps.

Wonderful ... now I can tell Sherlock I know something about military maps after all :)

• Admin

36.N.13. - numerous graves from this square can be found in Rue Petillion Military Cemetery, Royal Irish Rifles Graveyard, Pont-du-Hem Military Cemetery, Canadian Cemetery No.2 and Aubers Ridge British Cemetery.

36.N.14. – graves from this square can be found in Royal Irish Rifles Graveyard and Aubers Ridge British Cemetery

36.N.15. - graves from this square can be found in Rue Petillion Military Cemetery and Cabaret Rouge British Cemetery

36.N.19. - graves from this square can be found in Rue Petillion Military Cemetery, Royal Irish Rifles Graveyard and Aubers Ridge British Cemetery

36.N.20. – no details found of any recoveries from this square

36.N.21. – no details found of any recoveries from this square

36.N.25. – graves from this square can be found in Rue Petillion Military Cemetery and Aubers Ridge British Cemetery

36.N.26. – a grave from this square can be found in Cabaret Rouge British Cemetery

36.N.27. - no details found of any recoveries from this square

The absence of any reference to Ration Farm here highlights the problems that occur when the burial returns are no longer available.

Glen

It certainly leaves on shaking their head on 'sense and sensibility'!!!

A similar thing happened in Warwickshire when a well intentioned clerk decided that the calander of convicts/prisoners was no longer required because they were 'too old' and destroyed the lot!!!

My family calls me a paper hoarder ... I wonder why?

Bright Blessings

Sandra