Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

UVF badges help

Hi I was wondering if anyone is able to trace these uvf numbers for me.

Antrim 6990

Down 13326

tryrone 6154

armagh 4021

Any help would be great thanks

I have this Badge Issue Number "E 4163" any information gratefully received thank you in anticipation

HB

post-2388-0-26759800-1309636373.jpg

WWW,

These are the badges that were recently on a well known auction site. Three of which didn't sell. Now the listing had the Tyrone and Armagh badge with the same number 4021 and i wonder if that's why they didn't sell as the one that did, the Antrim, was listed at a later date.

Perhaps the numbering on the listing got people a little nervous as to them being copies.

The numbers of lists that have survived is small, some Antrim & Down and a very small one for Tyrone.

Are you a colector/dealer? i collect 'I' badges, Derry City.

Harry, E is Londonderry County. i have never seen any list at all for this county, but if a good one your badge is quite collectable. £70 plus!

Rob

WWW,

These are the badges that were recently on a well known auction site. Three of which didn't sell. Now the listing had the Tyrone and Armagh badge with the same number 4021 and i wonder if that's why they didn't sell as the one that did, the Antrim, was listed at a later date.

Perhaps the numbering on the listing got people a little nervous as to them being copies.

The numbers of lists that have survived is small, some Antrim & Down and a very small one for Tyrone.

Harry, E is Londonderry County. i have never seen any list at all for this county, but if a good one your badge is quite collectable. £70 plus!

Rob

Hi I made an offer on the tryone armagh and down badges and he accepted and ended the auction and all of them are original

WWW,

I thought they should be ok as i've bought off him myself, just odd how the three disappeared but you've explained. Did you go for the large badge too?

Did you see the Monaghan one, that went high enough.

Des may be able to help with the Antrim number, he did get one for me.

I have a few lapel badges for Antrim and Down and am getting a good bunch for Derry City. Will do swops of any i have for 'I' badges.

Got a couple of UVF photo postcards of individuals too, as well as about 15 armbands [none too rare].

Rob

Hi no I bought the fist antrim one he posted and the 3 other ones so 4 in total. I saw the mongahan it went for somethng like £180 which is quite high but it is one of the rareest badges due to the lower number of volunteers in Mongahan.

WWW,

About 20 years go i picked up 11 Co Down ones in one go. I only have five of those left now, numbered

4603, 4605, 4606 ,12364 & 12365.

Got a nice Antrim one, A400, polished to a shine like its brass.

There is quite a lot of Donegal & Tyrone paperwork about at the moment

Rob

I initially closed this thread but have been reminded of the close historical links between the UVF and the Ulster Division, so I'll re-open it. Please let's stay on topic though

Edited by Alan Curragh

Thank you for the information most useful,

HB :thumbsup:

• 10 months later...

I have a Badge my dad gave me years ago Issue number "I 3740" any information would be great thank you

i got in contact with rob elliott who was very helpful and found out that the membership rolls for derry city only go up to 3714

so its possible my badge was un-issued

• 2 months later...
Guest Bill Spears

Hi, I am trying to research my family tree and have come across a UVF Badge G7272 (I think it is G).

Any suggestions about finding out who this Badge would have belonged would be appreciated,

Cheers Bill

Ps Not too certain how to upload the pictures!

• 2 years later...
Guest dougie1956

hi was wondering if anyone could help.have a uvf badge 6962 has c just above it and what looks like a small s beside it.my sister moved to a house about 30 years ago just outside newtownards and i found the badge in an old cabinet in the garage. many thanks dougie.

Dougie, your number and letters should be stamped on the horseshoe type fixing, on the rear of the badge, made to attach through the button hole on a coat or jacket.

The letters Cs and number, denote the owner as being a member of the South Belfast Regiment UVF. { Cs = City south }

• 2 months later...

Dougie,

Just for clarification the letters Cs do not stand for City South. It is for Belfast South but the lettering of the UVF badges is in alphabetical order by county/district, therefore

A - Antrim

B - Armagh

C - Belfast [as in UVF terms it was classed as its own area as was Londonderry City - 'I'] then with addition of a small n,s,e or w

D - Cavan

E - Londonderry County [as D for Derry County alphabetically]

etc

Rob

• 2 months later...

Hello from New Zealand. I have just created this account to ask a specific question following a long online search, so I hope nobody minds.

I inherited a 36 Ulster Division lapel badge numbered Cs 2547. Would anyone be able to tell me who this was issued to?

Thank-you.

Resnick,

Hi, the badge you refer to is an Ulster Volunteer Force pre war lapel badge not a 36th Ulster Division WW1 badge.

The C stands for Belfast and the S for south, so it is a south Belfast Regiment membership badge with the mans number on it.

These would be logged in a membership roll book. The rolls for Belfast no longer exist as far as we are aware so it will not be possible to trace the owner. I have researched the UVF for some years and was with one of the most knowledgeable guys in Belfast last week going through what is left of the member rolls [none for Belfast].

Do you know who it may have come from?

Rob

Rob, thank-you for the reply and the information, much appreciated!

I have (very gratefully) inherited the badge from a relative in Belfast as I had shown an interest in his medals and badges when I was a child. I don't recall ever being told who the badge originally belonged to. Next time I am back home I will try to investigate its exact origins, but I’m afraid the information has probably gone with the previous owner.

Kind regards, Resnick.

• 7 months later...
Guest Captain Scott

Hi, I have been reading through this post. I have two original lapel badges one belonging to each of my grandfathers. From the information I have read here they are from 1913, small numbers being 624076. Is it possible to confirm who

They belonged to with the serial numbers being E 3493 and E 5576. I know the E indicates Londonderry county.

Thanks in advance.

• 8 months later...

Hi Folks

Also looking for assistance. I've a UVF lapel badge with H135 on the horseshoe clip.

I don't even know what town/county the H relates to.

Thanks for any info

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 03/07/2011 at 20:50, rob elliott said:

WWW,

Rob

Hi Rob,

Sorry to bother you but I have come across a Derry City badge from a member of my family and want to trace the number. Would you know how I could do this please?