Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Diamond shape cuff insignia

Chris

Any members have the answer, then myself and a couple of other pals would appreciate if you could tell us what the diamond shape insignia on the cuff of this soldiers tunic denotes. Picture dates from 1913/14 and the soldier is a Territorial. We have seen this insignia on other Lincolnshire soldiers but this is the clearest image.

post-1012-0-76228700-1309365150.jpg

Thanks

Chris

He's an old pre-war Territorial wearing the efficiency diamond(returned efficient in the last annual return) and efficiency stars(returned five times efficient per each star, but not necessarly consecutively)

Thank you Graham.

Just to clarify were these efficiency diamonds awarded to men in both the Territorials and Regulars or just the Territorials. In the illustrated example am i right in deducing from your explanation that this man has at least 21 years service (4 stars x 5 years each = 1 year for the diamond).

Thanks

Chris

The diamond is the Territorial Efficiency Diamond, so specifically TF.

That's a great find: only the second picture I have ever seen of it being worn on Service Dress. And such pictures are important to me, as I have an SD with one on - and used to wonder if it was an embeliishment.

Cheers,

GT,

Thanks for the additional info Grovetown. Here are a couple more pictures of Lincs Terriers with the afore mentioned insignia. The photo of the guy without the cap dates from the summer camp of 1912 whilst the guy with the rifle dates from Sept 1914. Both 5th Lincs, as was the soldier in the original post.

post-1012-0-63589800-1309381071.jpg

post-1012-0-47223300-1309381084.jpg

Chris

Thank you Graham.

Just to clarify were these efficiency diamonds awarded to men in both the Territorials and Regulars or just the Territorials. In the illustrated example am i right in deducing from your explanation that this man has at least 21 years service (4 stars x 5 years each = 1 year for the diamond).

Thanks

Chris

As Grovetown has pointed out T.F. only. In this case you would be correct in your deduction, although the 5 point stars, do not necessarily mean consectutive years, depending on the mans ability to attend his Annual Camp, which I believe was a "must do", to be returned efficient.

Things hadn't changed much when I was serving in the T.A., through the 80's & 90's and to be returned "efficient" then you had to ensure you did a two week Annual Camp even if it was a secondment to a regular army unit. I couldn't do two Camps for family reasons, so did one at Catterick with a regular R.E.M.E. unit and another at our Drill Hall, the latter with special permission. We didn't get diamonds or stars, which is more the pity really, but I did end up with a T.E.M. after 14years.

The diamond badge looks like one used in the CCF for Certificate A, Pt I, many many years later, but this is off-topic so I will say no more.

D

A few points to clarify: the qualifying period for the star was reduced to 4 years by 1908 and I suspect around the turn of the century. In 1897 it needed five still. This is a topic that I am going to pursue when I have time. .... between Graham Stewart and I we have most if not all of the VF/TF regs from 1860.

The OTC junior divisions also used the diamond badge .... I have photos of it on really quite young chaps on SD. Never seen authorisation for this.