Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Military Cross Medal Citations

Patrick Watt

Hi all

I am almost certainly being stupid with this question. I have searched the London Gazette online to find out why a number of men in the 6th Cameron Highlanders won gallantry awards (chiefly Military Crosses, but three DSO's and I CMG) but have hit a brick wall. When I type in their names and the year the Regimental History states they won it, I can't find anything for them except promotions.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

The man I was chiefly looking for was Major Peter McFarlane Cram who was awarded the DSO on 3 June 1919. I do have a list of about 40 others I am looking for though.

Any help much appreciated.

Patrick

I am not sure what you are doing wrong - but one of the quickest ways to find Gazette entries for WW1 is the book Honour the Officers - British Dominion and Colonial Officers for the Great War.

CRAM Peter McFarland Captain, T/Major, DSO Cameron Highlanders (4) Theatre FF+ LG 3.6.1919 page 6818

Most of the awards published in the London Gazette in the New Years Honours and King's Birthday Honours (typically Gazetted in the first week of June) were non-imediate awards and did not have a citation published in the London Gazette.

Here is the announcement:

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/31370/pages/6818

Steve.

Thanks guys

I will have a better look in a bit! Found one man so that is a start!

Patrick

Patrick

Sometimes putting too much info in the search boxes is not helpful. More can produce less. Surnames are not always on a single line but hyphenated, so may not be picked up by the search. Regiments' titles are abbreviated in some entries and not others. First names appear in some entries, not others. Try the surname + gallantry in the keywords box - has been known to work.

D

Hello Patrick

There are two other points you might like to bear in mind:

1. During the last year or so of the War there was often a considerable delay between the recommendation for the award and the actual gazetting (some not appearing until 1920);

2. It is not uncommon to find a citation in the Gazette at a later date than the notification of the award.

As far as I know there are no published citations for the award of the CMG, which was a diplomatic rather than a gallantry award. As others have already mentioned, awards in the New Year or Birthday Honours lists do not generally have citations.

Good hunting!

Ron

No disagreements at all with Ron - save to amplify that there was a relative avalanche of awards in late 1918 reflecting the Advance to Victory, etc. and some awards were indeed lagging in the Gazette into 1920, although many were cleared by the 'Peace Gazette' on 3 July 1919.

The reason CMGs begin to proliferate to officers of Lt Col/Col is less for 'diplomatic service' than its being used to offset the number of DSOs being awarded -I think there is reference in Abbott and Tamplin's 'British Gallantry Awards' in the DSO section.