Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Markings on Commonwealth bayonets

jscott

Hi all

I usually use the following (very helpful) site to determine the meanings of the regimental markings on the bayonets that I own (http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/brit_bayo.html), although recently Ive found a number of markings that are not listed here. Is anyone aware of a more comprehensive listing?

The current marking Im musing over is "DS.RA" with a "3" beneath on the pommel of a 1903... any thoughts?

Thanks, Jonathan

Could well be an Indian military marking, the P1903 bayonet was more popular and in service longer with the Indian Army than with the British.

Just as an aside (and hopefully not related ;) ) the marking AS.FA is normally found on bayonets that have seen postwar Turkish service.

I think photos may be required if you want to get very far with this one.

BTW welcome back to the forum, haven't seen you around for a while.!

Cheers, S>S

Thanks for that - yes I think it probably ended up in Indian service as the blade appears to have been blued (at some point) from about a quarter of the way up to the tip, and I understand that is characteristic of their bayonets. Did the Indian Army use both during and post WW1?

Yes, I've been very quiet on the forum for the past few months - mainly due to a very busy period at work. I have been checking in to read the forum from time to time though and have been quite impressed by some of the finds you've made - esp the 1903s and the lithgow 07.

I also managed to fit in a weekend trip to Verdun a few weeks ago and Im off to see my Dad on the Somme this weekend so it hasnt all been bad...

Would still be nice to see a photo to check for certain on the markings - S>S>'s hint about it just possibly being an ASFA mark indicating a post-1928/29 Turkish re-issue is worth bearing in mind. Mind you, in my admitedly very limited experience, I have never seen an ASFA marked bayonet with a single digit number beneath it - but I am always happy to progress further on the learning curve!

Trajan

Good to see you back anyway. Yes the Indians liked the shorter P1903 blades and many ended up being blued & refinished while in their service.

They were definitely used post WW1 and probably much later by the second-line units, while ever they had SMLE's they could use the P1903 bayonet.

I've noticed quite a proliferation of P1903's appearing on the market of late, and I suspect many of the Indian examples are coming back from Afghanistan.

Check out this one below for a uniquely stamped example - an original P1888 bayonet that underwent conversion to P1903 variety in India, and Rough as.!

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-83688500-1309342549.jpg

very helpful guys, thanks.

wow - that is certainly a bayonet with some history (bit like an English/ Indian "ersatz")!

Hi all

I usually use the following (very helpful) site to determine the meanings of the regimental markings on the bayonets that I own (http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/brit_bayo.html), although recently Ive found a number of markings that are not listed here. Is anyone aware of a more comprehensive listing?

The current marking Im musing over is "DS.RA" with a "3" beneath on the pommel of a 1903... any thoughts?

Thanks, Jonathan

Another source is Skennerton's "Broad Arrow", although like the site you have quoted, this is just an amalgam of the many additional appendices for "Instructions for Armourers" that were issued from time to time.

Although the regimental abbreviations are well documented, not all the individual units are and armourers often dreamed up their own for particular units that do not seem to be catalogued anywhere. My only thought on yours is that it is "Something" Royal Artillery, perhaps "Depot Services" or similar.

See attached example.

Regards

TonyE

post-8515-0-27169900-1309351576.jpg

Tony, thanks very much for that.

I take it that Skennerton's "Broad Arrow" is only available as a book, and not online? Many thanks, J

• 3 years later...

You may know already, but nowt like tidying up loose-ends!

Instructions for Armourer's 1904 gives: 'Regimental District Staff Royal Artillery - D.S.R.A.' So TonyE (post 7) was close to the mark...

Trajan