Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sergeants & Good Conduct Badges

Steven Broomfield

On Sunday I was at an Armed Forces Week event at Peninsula Barracks, Winchester. Also present were the very good group who re-enact GW 8th (Princess Beatrice's Isle of Wight Rifles) Battalion, The Hampshire Regiment. (Forum pal T8Hants - Gareth - was sadly otherwise engaged).

One of their number was in the attire of a sergeant fighting Johnny Turk, and was beautiofully truned-out excpet for one thing, which I think was an error - he was displaying a Good Conduct Badge on his left cuff. I might be wrong, but I believe only Corporals and below wore these (is that correct?).

I asked him about this, and he, not unreasonably, suggested that he had only recently been made up to Lance Sergeant, and had not ad time to remove the GC badge.

So:

1. Am I right that sergeants didn't display Good Conduct badges?

2. If so, did Lance Sergeants display them?

3. If Lance Sergeants did not display them, would the excuse of not having time to remove the badge work with the RSM? I assume if you have time to sew a stripe on, you have time to remove one.

As I said,this is slightly tongue in cheek (the 'culprit' may well be a member and Gareth certainly is), but it is an interesting point, I think.

That said, this is not a pop at the group who really are VERY good indeed. It was such a hot sticky day that they even looked as if they'd been marching across the desert :lol:

I was under the impression that it was only private soldiers and lance corporals who would wear GC badges; Corporals and above no longer wore them? If so, L/Sgts shouldn't be wearing them either. Happy to be proven wrong though!

I was under the impression that it was only private soldiers and lance corporals who would wear GC badges; Corporals and above no longer wore them? If so, L/Sgts shouldn't be wearing them either. Happy to be proven wrong though!

My understanding too. He shouldn't have been wearing the Good Conduct badge as a Corporal either.

Navy has and still does wear GC stripes up the rank of Petty Officer - equivalent to Sergeant - why the difference ? After all it is a mark of 4 years undetected crime.

Hello all

I have just had a rummage through King's Regulations 1912, Clothing Regulations 1914 and the Pay Warrant for 1914. The last of these (para 1080) says that good conduct badges may be awarded to a soldier under the rank of corporal, 2nd-corporal, bombardier, or havildar. But none of the regulations actually say that badges already earned below these ranks may no longer be worn after promotion.

Grumpy should be along shortly with the definitive answer.

Ron

IIRC from previous threads on the subject - the promotion to Corporal or above would not have been granted unless the individual had a record of previous Good Conduct, whether a badge, or badges, were awarded or not.Therefore there was no need to wear a badge denoting Good Conduct when Corporal's or above rank chevrons were worn.

Even though he may not wear the badges he would still get paid for them would he not ? And if a Corporal or above is charged and found guilty of an offence the

badges go first.

The small extra payment that went with the Good Conduct badge(s) was abolished some time before WW1 IIRC.

On promotion to Cpl, or equivalent, GC badges are supposed to be removed. Although these badges are no longer seen the regulation still exists and the detail regarding rank and entitlement to wear remains the same. Whether Sgt or L/Sgt he should not have been wearing them. The reason is that promotion to Cpl (until 1961 the first level of substantive rank) assumes de facto good conduct and renders nugatory any good conduct badges. Ergo 'good conduct' is a given for full Cpls and above and badges are both unnecessary and an expense on the public purse.

Thanks for clearing that one up. Glad to be corrected, too: I'd always assumed Corporals wore them - you learn something every day!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for clearing that one up. Glad to be corrected, too: I'd always assumed Corporals wore them - you learn something every day!

I think this must be the greatest number of good conduct badges I have ever seen.

post-599-0-82932800-1310460163.jpg

Presumably that's Boudicca's chariot he's resting his right hand on?

By coincidence the last serving soldier I saw with GC stripes was an RAMC A/Lcpl, he was still serving I believe around 1988, he joined in the early 1950's by the name of 'George' Logavani.

Presumably that's Boudicca's chariot he's resting his right hand on?

No expert on medals but is one of them the "Waterloo Medal"

What are the two medals?

How long was required beforegaining a Goodconduct badge and the interval between iaward?

If he had that many in the Navy he would have done 60+ years service.