ltftrusscottmcattdrfc1917.jpg

Name:TRUSCOTT, FRANCIS GEORGE

Nationality:United Kingdom

Regiment/Service:Royal Flying Corps

Unit Text:45th Sqdn.

Secondary Regiment:Suffolk Regiment

Date of Death:06/04/1917

Awards:M C, Mentioned in Despatches

Additional information:Son of Sir George Wyatt Truscott, 1st Bart, and Lady Truscott, of Oakleigh, East Grinstead, Sussex.

Grave/Memorial Reference:II. J. 29.Cemetery:TOURNAI COMMUNAL CEMETERY ALLIED EXTENSION

2Lt J.A. Marshall and 2Lt F.G.Truscott left at 9.10am on a reconnaissance flight in Sopwith Strutter number A1093. They were shot down by Ltn J vBertrad of Ja30 at 10.43am who also shot down 2Lt CStG Campbell and Captain DW Edwards MC in Sopwith Strutter number A2381 at 10.50am. Another Strutter number 7806 with 2Lt JE Blake and Captain WS Brayshay were shot down by Oblt H Berthge also of Ja30. All were 45 Squadron aircraft.

Mick

I see that he wore glasses. Was he the pilot or observer? I assume the latter if there is any significance in his name being second. As far as I know, the Frank Courtney was the only RFC pilot to wear glasses (though that is according to him). Was there an official policy on this?

According to the Huntingdon Memorial page, Marshall was the pilot and Truscott the observer.

Backed up by his entry in the London Gazette Issue 29946, Page 1624.

From Flight Magazine: APRIL 26, 1917.

Missing

Lieutenant FRANCIS GEORGE TRUSCOTT, M.C., Suffolk Regiment, attached R.F.C., reported missing and believed killed in the aerial battle on the 6th inst., was the elder son of Sir George Wyatt Truscott, Bart., Lord Mayor of London,1908-9, and of Lady Truscott, and grandson of Sir Francis Wyatt Truscott, Lord Mayor, 1879-80. He was born in August 1894, and educated at Rugby and Trinity College, Cambridge. Lieutenant Truscott represented his college at Henley in 1913. At the outbreak of the war, and while in residence at the university, he obtained a commission in the Suffolk Cyclist Corps, and went to the front. He won the Military Cross and was mentioned in despatches for bravery at Loos. Later on he joined the Royal Flying Corps, and a few weeks ago was instrumental in destroying two German aeroplanes.

He doesn't appear on the East Grinstead War Memorial.

I'm afraid my French is not too good, but this is worth a look.

Phil

• 1 year later...

Lt Francis George Truscott, M.C. is remembered on the War Memorial in the village of Ashurst Wood, two miles south of East Grinstead.

His father was the chairman of the war memorial committee in the village, and he unveiled the memorial in August 1921.

Browzer.

Marshall and Truscott were shot down by Ltn Joachim von Bertrab of Jasta 30 as his 3rd victory; von Bertrab was himself shot down on 12 August 1917, by "Mick" Mannock of No 40 Sqn RFC, and taken prisoner.

"Oblt H Berthge" is actually Oblt Hans Bethge.

Graeme

• 9 years later...