Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

bullet id

madman

hi all

i was hoping some one could indentify this fired round for me i apologise for the picture (best i can post atm) the round is 60mm in lenght , as i am not sure on the era i apologise if it falls out of the perameters of the forum

regards nathan

post-61527-0-46127200-1309097668.jpg

60mm is just under 2 1/2 inches long are you sure the length is correct?

If the diameter is about 1/2 Inch then I suggest it is a WW2 .50 Browning, probably a ball round. Where was it found?

Regards

TonyE

If the diameter is about 1/2 Inch then I suggest it is a WW2 .50 Browning, probably a ball round. Where was it found?

Regards

TonyE

I thought the BMG round was boattailed - unless there were early variants that weren't? I might have suggested .5 Vickers, but I think it's too long for 580 grains, and anyway the knurled cannelure looks American.

Regards,

MikB

Duh! you are correct of course Mick, the ball is boat tailed. The tracer and incendiary M1 are flat based and the knurled cannelure suggests tracer.

I should have looked more carefully before banging off an answer!

Regards

TonyE

Chaps,

Your knowledge is superb and I am enjoying your ping pong and in particular the technical terminology! I ask is there a word for the groves cut in the bullet? I have a fine set of Somme ones with groves made into cufflinks, but the .303 groves are nothing like the photo above. I could ask you to go into the history of rifling, but suspect you have written books on the subject!

Chris

Another .5 calibre tracer round. Antony

img-0015.jpg

Chaps,

Your knowledge is superb and I am enjoying your ping pong and in particular the technical terminology! I ask is there a word for the groves cut in the bullet? I have a fine set of Somme ones with groves made into cufflinks, but the .303 groves are nothing like the photo above. I could ask you to go into the history of rifling, but suspect you have written books on the subject!

Chris

Chris, the markings on the bullet are usually called land and groove impressions. They will certainly look different from one make of firearm to another-- I'm not surprised you see differences between the .303 and this one. Doc

More simply, they are normally called "rifling marks". Every type of weapon has its own rifling characteristics, both in the number and width of the grooves and the direction and angle of twist.

British weapons such as lee Enfield rifles are normally left hand twist, whilst American and others are right hand twist, as exhibited by the .50 Browning bullet under discussion. In WW2 the number of grooves in the barrel of the Lee Enfield No.4 rifle was reduced from five to two with no deletrious effect on accuracy or barrel life.

..and don't forget that the bullet rifling is a mirror image of the barrel. The grooves in the bullet are the lands in the barrel.

Regards

TonyE