The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1/4th Royal Scots Fusiliers-Service Number

ianwill

My grandfather was in the 1/4th RSF in WW1. His service record is not available from Ancestry but I have his dog-tags and Medal Roll card. I also have a copy of "The 52nd Lowland Division 1914-1918" by Lieut. Col. RR Thompson, so I have a good reference covering the movements of his battalion. What I don't know is when he joined the unit. Does anyone know if there is a way of interpreting his service number such that it will let me know when he enlisted/was conscripted etc? He doesn't have a 1914-1915 Star, so I'm assuming it's 1916 or later.

His number is 25317. Is it possible to say when he joined the regiment from that number?

Thanks for any help/guidance anyone can provide.

• 3 months later...

My grandfather was in the 1/4th RSF in WW1. His service record is not available from Ancestry but I have his dog-tags and Medal Roll card. I also have a copy of "The 52nd Lowland Division 1914-1918" by Lieut. Col. RR Thompson, so I have a good reference covering the movements of his battalion. What I don't know is when he joined the unit. Does anyone know if there is a way of interpreting his service number such that it will let me know when he enlisted/was conscripted etc? He doesn't have a 1914-1915 Star, so I'm assuming it's 1916 or later.

His number is 25317. Is it possible to say when he joined the regiment from that number?

Thanks for any help/guidance anyone can provide.

My great great uncle was part of 1/4 Royal Scots Fusiliers. The 25317 probably comes from after the territorials were renumbered in 1917. Could you give me your grandfathers name at all?