Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1st Lincolnshire Regiment

sdjknox

I have received some interesting information about a relative of my wife, Harry Lawson from a forum member Chris whilst researching Harry's brother James Lawson (died 19/10/1916 whilst serving with the 2nd Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment and commemorated on the Thiepval Monument). This can be seen on my post under James Lawson on GW forum Soldiers.

I was unaware that brother Harry had been killed earlier, on June 16 1915 at the Battle of Hooge within the Ypres salient.He is commemorated on the Menin Gate. The copy of the article from the Gainsborough Times includes a very poignant "Battle Eve Letter" from Harry to his mother. I tried to attach a copy of this as an attachment but my skills were lacking.

Other newspaper articles reveal a little of the Battle of Hooge and the part played by the 1st Lincolnshire but I wondered if anyone had the War Diary for June 16 1915 in order to learn more in a factual sense about the "bayonet charge" commemorated in the newsy articles.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve

I am very interested in Harry Lawson and the newspaper 'Battle Eve Letter'.

I have created a website dedicated to the Battle of Bellewaarde 16th June 1915. You will find a large amount of information on the battle and on the Lincolns in particular.

If you would supply the information, I will create a page for Harry so that he can be remembered along with his pals.

You can find the site at www.bellewaarde1915.co.uk

Let me know what you think?

Regards

Martin

Hi Steve, this battle is also of interest to me as a relative of mine (Frederick Pittaway, 1st bn Lincs) was also killed on the 16/6/15. I have the war diary of the 1st Lincs through out all the war. I will email this to you if you would like.

Mick

Hi Steve

I have created a website dedicated to the Battle of Bellewaarde 16th June 1915. You will find a large amount of information on the battle and on the Lincolns in particular.

If you would supply the information, I will create a page for Harry so that he can be remembered along with his pals.

Regards

Martin

Martin,

I have sent you a PM and will forward to you the newspaper articles which were scanned in by Chris for me. I attempted to attach one of these to my initial post but was lost in the attachment process! If you have the skills please use these when I have sent them by e mail to you, either to add to this post, or to your excellent website you have given a link to in your post.

Thanks for the information about Harry Lawson and the battle. I had looked up in my WW1 books for the Battle of Hooge as it is referred to in the newspaper articles of the time and found almost nothing, perhaps your Bellewaarde naming may be more forthcoming.

Kind Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve, this battle is also of interest to me as a relative of mine (Frederick Pittaway, 1st bn Lincs) was also killed on the 16/6/15. I have the war diary of the 1st Lincs through out all the war. I will email this to you if you would like.

Mick

Mick,

I have sent you a PM with my e mail address. Thanks for the offer of the dairies which I am very pleased to accept. The link in the post from martinclift may be of interest to you with your family connection to the battle.

Kind Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve

Received the P.M.

You will find that information about this battle is very hard to find with a Google search. When I first started there was much less and I think the reason for this is that it only lasted one day and got lost amongst the memories of 2nd Ypres etc.

Most of the information I managed to get from individuals on forums such as this one, libraries and of course CWGC. You will notice that when you Google 16th June 1915 or Bellewaarde 1915 etc the information that comes up is that of the 18 months research. That said I'm confident there is more out there (Harry Lawson) it's just a matter of finding it.

So, if you do come across something, please let me know?

Regards

Martin

Steve,

Brief account of Bellewarde.

The British planned a minor operation at gaining ground close to Bellewaarde Lake at Hooge. The attack was launched at 4:15am on June 16, after 105 minutes of artillery preparation. The Lincolns compromised (with the Liverpool Scottish) the 3rd Division’s second wave for the assault. The initial assault was boldly pushed that the initial objectives were quickly secured, with some men advancing too quickly and consequently suffering losses from the supporting British artillery. The Lincolns joined the assault and the German second line was taken. A strong German counter-attack was repulsed. However losses had been heavy and the many battalions involved had been hopelessly mixed up. By 9:30am the British pulled back to the German front lines.

Jim

Steve,

Brief account of Bellewarde.

The British planned a minor operation at gaining ground close to Bellewaarde Lake at Hooge. The attack was launched at 4:15am on June 16, after 105 minutes of artillery preparation. The Lincolns compromised (with the Liverpool Scottish) the 3rd Division's second wave for the assault. The initial assault was boldly pushed that the initial objectives were quickly secured, with some men advancing too quickly and consequently suffering losses from the supporting British artillery. The Lincolns joined the assault and the German second line was taken. A strong German counter-attack was repulsed. However losses had been heavy and the many battalions involved had been hopelessly mixed up. By 9:30am the British pulled back to the German front lines.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the summary of the day. My wife's relative I believe was in C company (according to an article from the Gainsborough News 25 June 1915). I have read the 9th Infantry Brigade diary and the Lincolnshire Regimental Diary. Neither gives detail at company level so I suppose I know as much as I ever will.

Regards,

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve

Regards

Martin

Hi Steve

Regards

Martin

Hi Steve

Regards

Martin

Martin,

Just a note of thanks and recommendation to those interested to see Martin's Battle of Bellewaarde site sometimes known as Battle of Hooge. He has added some information about Harry Lawson for which I am very grateful. Click on the link on his post.

Regards,

Steve

• 4 months later...

Hi

I found the topic very interesting having had a relative, Henry Atkinson 1 Bn Lincs, taken prisoner at the same place or very nearly earlier in the month.

As far as I can make out the battalion made an attack on the Stables and earthworks on the night of the 4th June 1915. At some point either that night or shortly after he was wounded, captured and died of his wounds in a German field hospital on the 12 June.

Is it possible to get any information from the German records or is that a non starter?

Jack

• 6 months later...

Hello all,

My wife nee Lawson and I have just been to Hooge and stayed at the Kasteelhof 'T Hooge. We remembered the actions of the Lincolnshire Regiment on 16 June 1915 when Harry Lawson was killed and left a memorial cross where the 1st Lincolns assembled to the west of Cambridge Road. Whilst staying I purchased the book Sanctuary Wood and Hooge part of the Battleground Europe series written by Nigel Cave. I was interested in page 27; here a brief mention is made of an action on 3 June to retake the chateau and the unfinished redoubt. The next comment is "The Lincolns were sent up to help the cavalry, but the attempt failed although we did get to the stables." The stables location is now the hotel where we stayed! Seeing Jack's comment above he obviously had some knowledge of this action (same source?).

Does anyone have access to the Ist Lincolnshire Regiment War Diary for 3 June so I can see what happened please?

Steve

Graeme,

Thanks very much for the extract from the diary. Very interesting to know with such detail what was happening on this small part of the Ypres Salient and also the mention of C Company which according to the obituary in the newspaper Harry Lawson was a member of.

Regards,

Steve

• 1 year later...

my great uncle joseph charles private 7024 b boy 18th bn lincolnshire regiment died in the battle of bellewaarde on 16th june 1915