Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help identifying the uniform

ToniDrake

Hello

This is my first post on this forum.

I have a photo of a man in uniform and am trying to identify the uniform and medals, if possible.

I don't know for certain but I think the photo was probably taken in India.

I'd appreciate any help or advice anyone has to offer.

post-74089-0-29193000-1308826799.jpg

Toni, is it possible for you to add high resolution scans focussing on his left shoulder (namely the medal ribbands, collar badge, and epaulette) and lower left sleeve (with the badge)?

I think you'll find he's probably either Indian Army or Indian Police and I'm banking on the latter as the badge on the cuff doesn't relate to any rank badge I've seen worn by the British Army or it's Empire counterparts during this period of time. I know that it definately does not appear to be a crown, as one would expect of a CSM post-war.

What an impressive gentleman, he looks to be a SNCO so a close up on the sleeve would be good to confirm his rank. As to Regiment I would hazard a go at the RASC/IASC. And on the medal front he has an honour/decoration before the Star, BWM and Victory medal and there looks to be another two under them. To date it I think we are looking at a late 20s more likely early 30s photo.

Rob

Thank you for your replies. I'll try and get some high resolution shots as requested. I'll have to do it later as I need to get the children to school.

If it is possible to properly identify the medals and regiment, would it be possible to identify the man?

I'm with Rob. I have a feeling he could be a Warrant Officer Class 1 of the RASC, wearing

officer-standard tropical service dress. (Although the sloppy positioning of the cross belt of the Sam Browne

over the lapel - a regular TV & film solecism - does him no favours). The badge of the cuff could be a small Royal Arms.

Instinctively, I think he's got too many (and varied) medals for a policeman?

I actually think the cuff badge is a crown...clearer if you download and try blowing the photo up.

This then begs the question why is he wearing a crown (not Royal Arms) and a Sam Browne if the photo is Post WW1...which it appears to be.

Rgds

Tim D

I actually think the cuff badge is a crown...clearer if you download and try blowing the photo up.

This then begs the question why is he wearing a crown (not Royal Arms) and a Sam Browne if the photo is Post WW1...which it appears to be.

Rgds

Tim D

I thought it was a crown and therefore a CSM, post-war, but when I blew it up it didn't look like a crown at all and certainly doesn't look to be khaki worsted, which it should be for KD.

Sam browne would be OK for a WOII post war, but believe changss in uniform and dress for WOII's were introduced prior to/or just after the 1930's.

Problem with India is that ex-pat's on secondment to the Indian Police dress in a paramilitary fashion, KD being the most practical uniform to wear and with Sam Brownes.

Mmmm.....now I'm not so sure either...perhaps it is a Royal Arms....shape and size appear right and fits with the Sam Browne. Can the photo be blown up?

Tim

If Tim it is the Royal Arms then we are potentially looking at a WO 1 and the backdrop looks like a head Quarters building.

Rob

RASC warrant officer, medal bar is DCM (in my opinion), KSA, 14 or 15 star trio, possibly with an MID oakleaf on the VM ribbon, and an LS&GC.

Looks like a 'block' shoulder-title, which would match RASC.

Much clearer now...RSM. Agree with the medals....but I am going to say Devonshire Regiment....which probably doesn't match the shoulder title...

Rgds

Tim D

I believe he is a Warrant Officer Class I (Regimental Sergeant Major) of the Royal Army Army Service Corps, or perhaps the Devonshire Regiment. A closer scan of the collar badge would confirm.

post-599-0-15972500-1308915005.jpg

post-599-0-16822900-1308915016.jpg

Medals are I think India Medal 1995-1902, Kings South Africa and the last one is a LSGC. I would go for the RASC/Indian Army Service Corps. He certainly doesn't have the deportment of an RSM in a line Regiment.

Rob

Medals are I think India Medal 1995-1902, Kings South Africa and the last one is a LSGC. I would go for the RASC/Indian Army Service Corps. He certainly doesn't have the deportment of an RSM in a line Regiment.

Rob

Yes, I agree and having just noticed that his shoulder title is straight rather than curved it would confirm the likelihood of the RASC/IASC option.

Interesting that unlike the British version the top point of the star extends beyond the crown.

To date it I think we are looking at a late 20s more likely early 30s photo.

Yes, I agree and having just noticed that his shoulder title is straight rather than curved it would confirm the likelihood of the RASC/IASC option.

Thank you all for your help. I would never have worked this out.

Given the RASC/IASC likelihood does that still indicate the late 20s/early 30s?

This is the best I can do of the collar. It's jsut not clear. :(

post-74089-0-82320900-1308918490.jpg

It's good enough Toni, the shape of the badge with its heavier centre part together with his straight, as opposed to curved shoulder title, confirms for me that he is RASC rather than Devons. I also think that the more pronounced crown at the top part of the badge rules out the IASC.

On his rank I do remember Grumpy writing about the rank of Conductor, and it being one if not the highest of the Senior NCO ranks even higher than the Garrison and Academy Sergeant Majors.

So could this chap be a Conductor, if so should be easier to find.

Rob

Might be wrong, but is Conductor not an RAOC rank? I think it's not used elsewhere.

On his rank I do remember Grumpy writing about the rank of Conductor, and it being one if not the highest of the Senior NCO ranks even higher than the Garrison and Academy Sergeant Majors.

So could this chap be a Conductor, if so should be easier to find.

Rob

Conductors were only in the AOC at that time and in any case had (and still have) a unique badge of rank of a coat of arms within a circular wreath.