Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th Field Survey Company

ASA1

I'm struggling to ascertain of there is a war diary or any other record for the 4th Field Survey Company, Royal Engineers.

Can any pals advise? I'm interested in any records for November 1918 (including post-armistice) particularly location and casualties.

Many thanks,

Andy

Found the diaries for the 5th, 7th and 8th Coys at the NA, sadly no others listed so possibly is now non existant

Jon

I thought so, just wanted to confirm I wasn't missing something obvious...

The 4th FSC is listed as being part of the Second Army so it may be worth trawling through HQ diaries...good luck

Jon

Good point, worth a shot

Yes, I found pretty good info on a field company whose diary has disappeared in the diary of the the divisional CRE

ASA1

You may wish to consult the following:

Artillery's Astrologers - A History of British Survey and mapping on the Western Front 1914-1918, Peter Chasseaud, Mapbooks, 1999. This contains much information about the unit and its successor 4th Field Survey battalion.

At the National Archives: WO 181/388 History of the Fourth Field Survey Battalion, Royal Engineers, by Lieutenant Colonel M N MacLeod 1918 Jan 01 - 1919 Dec 31 and:

WO 402/388 History of the Fourth Field Survey Battalion, Royal Engineers, by Lieut Col M N MacLeod 1919 Jun 01 - 1919 Jun 30

TR

Hi Terry,

Many thanks for that - I'll look them up next time I'm at Kew.

Regards,

Andy

• 9 years later...

Hi ASA1

My grandfather was a photographer (sapper) with the 4th Field Survey Unit. He was allowed to send home photographs that he took at what looks like HQ. I am struggling to work out if this is the Cologne base. All of my 20 pictures are from 1918. He was sent to join the company in March 1918 and was with them until the end of the war. The photos are of groups of officers and sporting events. There are one or two informal shots of his mates as well as what appears to be locals. Family stories say that these villagers used to do their washing for them. 

I have attached eight images. Grandfather was HENRY JOHN BATTY. On the group shot of the Calibration Section he is second from left. I would be grateful for any info on the location of these images. I have lots more question for another time.

Regards: Malcolm Batty

ww1hb015.JPG

ww1hb016.JPG

ww1hb017.JPG

ww1hb018.JPG

ww1hb019.JPG

ww1hb012.JPG

ww1hb013.JPG

ww1hb014.JPG

Hi Malcom,

Welcome to the forum.

If you haven't already seen it, there is a transcription of the work which Terry referred to under the "historical papers tab of this website. As a flavour...

image.png.41077e45efa34624ba295af1bac4bfa1.png

Image sourced from defencesurveyors.org.uk

Regards

Chris