Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

slouch hat and plume

agooner

Any ideas as to the regiment . This old postcard unfortunately is low resolution and the badges cannot be identified

Seems to be a proper plume, ( or should it be 'hackle' ) not the Kangaroo Feather

post-60554-0-18591900-1308674817.jpg

Looks like the 'signals section' of a battalion. I wonder if this is pre WW1? Could be a yeomanry unit--I seem to think that the Scottish Horse wore something similar during the Boer War. I'm sure that someone will have a better explanation.

Nice picture :thumbsup:

Good luck, Robert

[quote name='faubourg' timestamp='1308674874' post='1607262'

not the Kangaroo Feather

I would like to see a kangaroo with feather's or even a photo of one

khaki

Any ideas as to the regiment . This old postcard unfortunately is low resolution and the badges cannot be identified

Seems to be a proper plume, ( or should it be 'hackle' ) not the Kangaroo Feather

It looks more similar to the longer plume used in Rifle Regt shakos, but the photo is very small and barely discernible. Can you not scan a larger image closer to the size of the post card?

post-599-0-22934100-1308678377.jpg

Apparently the 2nd VB DLI wore the slouch hat with hackle 1904-1908.

I just Googled 'Slouch Hat with Hackle' and came up with this along with one or two other possibilities.

These are definitely a throw back to the Boer War, or at least this is how I see it.

Robert

Apparently the 2nd VB DLI wore the slouch hat with hackle 1904-1908.

I just Googled 'Slouch Hat with Hackle' and came up with this along with one or two other possibilities.

These are definitely a throw back to the Boer War, or at least this is how I see it.

Robert

If it's DLI Graham Stewart will definitely know, Robert. We need to draw his attention to it.

Firstly in reply to Khaki, the Kangaroo feather was the name given to the emu feather worn in the hat of some Oz military units.

And I hope this time I havemanaged to upload an enlargement of part of the postcard. It appears that many have a red cross badge on their sleeve. Still no closer to seeing a recognisable badgepost-60554-0-94095500-1308849109.jpg

Firstly in reply to Khaki, the Kangaroo feather was the name given to the emu feather worn in the hat of some Oz military units.

And I hope this time I havemanaged to upload an enlargement of part of the postcard. It appears that many have a red cross badge on their sleeve. Still no closer to seeing a recognisable badgepost-60554-0-94095500-1308849109.jpg

By regulation the red cross badge was authorized for qualified men of the Royal Army Medical Corps only, although some units turned a blind eye to its wear by regimental personnel on the RMOs staff. Given the large numbers with the badge in your photograph and the stretchers positioned along the front row it seems possible that this is a Field Ambulance.

• 1 year later...