Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards From Egypt

Matthew King

My Grandfather sent home some postcards when he was in egypt could anyone help indentify the places in the pictures

Luxor.JPG

I think this is the Winter Place in Luxor where he stayed briefly after Gallipolli

Pyramids.jpg

MarchPast.jpg

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt

Prob my PC but cant see the images. Could you perhaps email them to me and Ill see if they match anything Ive come across? Prob not, but never know!

Steve

Sorry mate, Its telling me their not curently available, what ever that means.

Did your man pick up a wound in Gallipoli?

Steve

No a serious case of the trots

lot of that about over there! Where did you find that out if you dont mind me asking, cos my guys got no service papers hemnce Im having trouble with details (wounded or ill, dates etc.).

Got the pics, thanks. Will have a look at them mate. Fairly sure Ive seen the building somewhere so itll jump out at me at some point.

Steve

I've been very lucky and got all the letters he wrote and received during the war. I'm currently going throught the process of transcribing them. I've done all his time training and his time on Gallipolli and I am currently going through his recovery period.

If you look below at my signature you can find a link to the web site where I am recording it all.

I'm pretty sure that the building is the Winter Place at Luxor as my Great Grandma is going on in her letters about how the Winter Palace looks so grand in the post card my Granddad sent her. I assume this is the post card she is talking about.

I've been very lucky and got all the letters he wrote and received during the war. I'm currently going throught the process of transcribing them. I've done all his time training and his time on Gallipolli and I am currently going through his recovery period.

Wow! What I would 'pay' for something like that mate (letters etc)!! My man was forgotten by everyone; even his children didnt remember anything about him, as I guess was the case with many of the guys who fell then. No grave, service papers or anything, bless him.

The web site is a terrific idea; have looked and am very impressed. Thats excactly what Im trying to get to, a 'history' of what he did and when.

Interestingly, the 1/5th Bedfords (TF), 162 Bgde 54 Div, had the same departure place and date, same stop offs, same date of entry into Gallipoli, my man probably even in the same hospitals! Possibly even in St Albans the same time and same ship for all I know. The Aquitania mentioned in Lionels letters had the Beds' officers & HQ on board and sailed from Liverpool, but the troops left Devonport, like the Essex boys. So looking at your site has been the 'closest' Ive got to my guys experiences, thank you very much. Would you abject to me printing some of it off?

The palace is looking good as the Winter Palace; but cant find it yet; I recall a reference to 'no other such Grand buildings' being 'near' to the troops' positions too. Will keep looking (may be in a book Ive seen?), but Ive seen it before, so am fairly happy its it!

Well, should you come across anything that may shed any light on my dilemna, please let me know!!!!!

Speak to you soon Matt, good luck

Steve

Hi Steve

No problems at all with you printing off stuff but if you ever write a book with the stuff just give my Granddad a mention :)

Very glad you like the site, it is very much work in progress and will be for the considerable future, just an easy place to record my findings. If I come across any mention of the 1/5th Bedfords I will forward it on.

I'm pretty sure it is the Winter Place, I have found a photo of it as it is present day and although it onlyshows the entrance it does look very similar.

Matt

Matt,

Just wanted to say how interesting your website is. Well worth a visit.

Regards

Nick - in St. Albans.

PS. Interesting that in those days trains to St.Albans from London appeared to have been run to a timetable. Halycon days :D

Matthew,

The second postcard which shows a tented camp beneath the pyramids is of the Mena Camp. It is almost exactly the same as one of the AWM pics. [A2741] except that for yours the photographer has moved slightly to the left before taking the shot – note the position of the tree.

Sorry I cannot help with the other two photographs

Regards

Michael D.R.

post-5-1090161463.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Very interested to see these pictures from Egypt. Anything to do with this theatre of war is of great interest to me, as my great uncle, 300115 Cpl E. S. Timmins DCM, Staffordshire Yeomanry, was killed there in 1918.

Any other pictures or snippets of information would be great.

By the way, if you want to follow the research I'm doing on my great uncle, go to Great War Forum, Units and Formations.

Thanks

Ray

Hi Ray

I have been storing all my information I have been gethering on my website (link below) which might interest you.

You might be especially interested in a series of Egyptian cartoon Postcards, they aren't very politically correct but I guess that wasn't very important in those days.

Egyptian Postcard Link

Thanks for the interest and good luck in your research

Matt

Well Matthew, the first one is definitely the Winter Palace, Luxor the second is obviously the training camp at the pyramids (the photo is taken from the opposite side of the pyramids from where the sphinx sits). The third could be anywhere. The only solid clue is the statue base. It's maybe the Gezira club or similar. I think I'll look up parade ground areas in the Egyptian Gazette archives and see if I can find the actual spot.

If you'd like photos of the places as they look now, let me know.

Regards

Tom Lawrence

Matthew,

Love the site and the information you have there, very personal and very interesting. :)

3 gold stars.

Leigh

Tom

Thanks for the information on the postcards, photos as the places look now would be great to see. I was also wondering where the Citadel Hospital was in Cairo as well if you could help.

I'm not sure at all where the parade ground is yet, my Grandfather has not mentioned the occasion yet in the letters I have read so far so it could not actually be in Egypt but rather in Palestine instead.

Leign

Thank you for the 'Gold Stars' for the site, I started the site just to try creating a website but it has become a bit of a passion for me, it nice to know other people are getting something out of it.

Matt

Matt,

Very interesting site. I hope you don't mind, but I've added your link to my Indian Army website, as both theatres are quite relevant to the IA.

Best Regards,

Christopher