Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Button ID - German? French?

bierlijn

Photo here of a button, just dug up in the vegetable garden.

The vegetable garden is directly over a German 2nd line trench, 1914-1917. French troops were in the area in 1914, British in 1917-18.

The button is about 1" across, loop at rear. Made of a greyish type of metal, not brass. For what it's worth, to me it looks like two circles containing numerals or letters, and a sort of tree between them. One of the numerals may be V or A. I may have photographed it upside down.

I haven't really tried scrubbing at it to see if there's writing on the back etc, but I will if the forum fails to crack the problem!

Hugh

post-19252-0-37229100-1308659533.jpg

It looks similar to this French family livery button, c. 1860s to 1880s. Husband's initial to the left & wife's initial to the right.

David.

post-21239-0-89393100-1308673270.jpg

Photo here of a button, just dug up in the vegetable garden.

The vegetable garden is directly over a German 2nd line trench, 1914-1917. French troops were in the area in 1914, British in 1917-18.

The button is about 1" across, loop at rear. Made of a greyish type of metal, not brass. For what it's worth, to me it looks like two circles containing numerals or letters, and a sort of tree between them. One of the numerals may be V or A. I may have photographed it upside down.

I haven't really tried scrubbing at it to see if there's writing on the back etc, but I will if the forum fails to crack the problem!

Hugh

Hugh, I think it might be an officers button from an Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders SD tunic, but it does also look very much like the French livery button above.

post-599-0-95032900-1308687650.jpg