Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dodgy Victory Medal

Derek Robertson

I've just bought a trio and the Victory Medal "feels" like a wrong 'un.

In comparison with the Star and Bwm it is in very good condition and the rim inscription looks very light and thin in comparison with any other Victory I've seen.

It just looks too good.

Is there anyway to spot a ringer?

I have seen a few BWMs with thin, feintly impressed capitals but these were named at the Calcutta Mint in India - there was a thread on it a few months ago.

However, I have never seen a VM with this naming, even though one would have thought that it would have been named alongside the BWM prior to despatch, but this could be the case.

Richard

However, I have never seen a VM with this naming, even though one would have thought that it would have been named alongside the BWM prior to despatch, but this could be the case.

You quite regularly find BWM/AVM Pairs with differing Naming & there is no evidence that they where all named together before despatch,rather the opposite that they were collated after naming & then despatched together.I wouldn't have thought it worthwhile,@ least not until very recently to Fake UK AVM {of all medals},though I suppose named Copies or renamed Originals could be made up to complete a Broken Pair,Trio or Group,but should be easy to spot,I do have a handful of Victories with feint thin letter naming & all appear genuine;{it may be to do with the composition of the Bronze,being harder to impress??}any chance of a JPG?

I think you picked up a good point, HB, about relative hardnesses of bronze and silver. I suspect the difference would be quite large and any machine set up to impress the BWM would make a much slighter impression on the VM. Set up to suit the VM, it would possibly be too heavy for the BWM. Assuming they were done at the same time and on the same tool, it would have to be set for the softer BWM and thus make a much shallower VM impression. Or is there evidence that they were impressed separately? Phil B

If the medals were all named separately, then paired up and then sent to be posted and finally await a receipt of award it must have been an administrative nighmare.

Nice to see government agencies as good as ever with time and motion... :D

Richard

Not only the variance in letter depth but also the Font style is often different thus confirming that they were named seperately or @ least on seperate occassions,I cannot envisage a Namer sat @ their bench alternating between BWM & Victory & then the occassional TFWM,setting up the Machine each time to accomodate the different Medals,much easier to bump off 1000 BWM @ a time whilst another Worker does the Victorys? :blink:

Not only the variance in letter depth but also the Font style is often different thus confirming that they were named seperately or @ least on seperate occassions,I cannot envisage a Namer sat @ their bench alternating between BWM & Victory & then the occassional TFWM,setting up the Machine each time to accomodate the different Medals,much easier to bump off 1000 BWM @ a time whilst another Worker does the Victorys? :blink:

Hi Roger-Harry- Bernard - Betts,

That makes sense, if, as you say different medals required different stamping pressures etc.

Still, I can see why most nations don't bother with naming. ;)

Richard

Derek

Take a look at the point where the suspension hoop meets the top of the medal. On the originals each side of the barrel that the hoop passes through tapers ever so slightly towrds the ends.

On the recent dodgy VM's the barrel is much more of a straight cylinder, ie does not taper towards the ends. Does that make sense? :P

Hope this helps.

Best Regards

Hi

I had this happen to me also. A trio I had picked up the 1914-15 star was impressed different than any other I had seen. When I received the service records it showed that the veteran had applyed for a new star in the 1960s and this was the medal I now have. Maybe yours is like this a replacement for a lost medal.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

You can also look at the length of the "barrel" on the top of the medal; should be 5mm long.

I've also seen fakes where the suspension ring is a triangle on fakes as opposed to the correct circle.

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Hi

I had this happen to me also. A trio I had picked up the 1914-15 star was impressed different than any other I had seen. When I received the service records it showed that the veteran had applyed for a new star in the 1960s and this was the medal I now have. Maybe yours is like this a replacement for a lost medal.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

Replaement medals are marked with an 'R' and duplicates are marked 'Duplicate'. This star should have one or totoher.

I am not at all sure that the BWMs and VMs were named separately. Many of the pairs that I have seen have the same form of naming with individual letters raised or lowered below the others in exactly the same manner on both medals. I have one or two pairs with corrections or mispellings that are identical on both the BWM and the VM. Hard to explain if they were separately named. Regards. Dick Flory

Replacement medals are marked with a 'R' and duplicates are marked 'Duplicate'

I could not find the records for the Star but I found the records for a victory that was replaced on November 21 1989. There are no markings on this medal other then serial number, rank, name and unit. I knew the man who requested the replacement and received the group from him before he passed away. The naming looks correct but is off center.

Best Regards

N.S.Regt.

Common sense would indicate that the VM & BWM would be impressed together, but of course it could be otherwise or could be either/or. It would be interesting to see photos of pairs on which the lettering is different - or obviously the same. Needs a good camera though! Phil B