Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Voluteer pattern P1888 markings?

sawdoc34

Bought a volunteer pattern P1888 bayonet at a fair yesterdey (along with WW1 type pocket knife & Mk4 P1887 bayonet made from 1886 blade) & the markings to the grips have me stumped.

Guessing that the 41 on one side is a rack number but the other side is marked 18 WVR, could this be Westmorland Voluteer Rifles?

Anyone have any info on volunteer rifle regiments?

Cheers,

Aleck

(would upload some pics but the phone line is down at the moment, so I have had to borrow a dongle & bloody thing wont let me upload Grrrr....)

Aleck some photos of the marking would obviously be of great assistance but since your having some difficulties I suppose I should take a guess.!

After giving it some thought I am going to suggest the Wolverhampton Grammar OTC. However it would depend a lot on the style of the markings etc.

I have come across a lot of P1888's that have been marked to the OTC units as that is where many finished up, especially so the Volunteer patterns.

Cheers, S>S

Cheers S>S, here are few pics, markings not the clearest mate

DSCN4766.jpg

DSCN4762.jpg

DSCN4780.jpg

Actually the marking looks to be WRV so disregard my last suggestion. Its a strange one for sure - haven't seen them marked like that before.

Looks like you had a pretty good day though, not a bad haul.!

EDIT. You may well be right - it could be the Westmorland Rifle Volunteers. They certainly were around in that era at least.

Cheers, S>S

• 3 years later...

Cheers S>S, here are few pics,

I have had a leisurely day, re-adjusting to being back in Turkey, and trawling back on 'Arms' topics from before and about the time I joined GWF, and I came across this one!

Well, Aleck, you may have had a chance to do more on this one since then, but for what it is worth - the W could be for Wiltshire.... (!) Whatever, it certainly looks like a Rifle Volunteers stamp, and so should date to before 1907 when the Territorial and Reserve Forces Act 1907 was introduced, merging Volunteer Forces with Yeomanry to create the 1908 Territorial Force.