Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can you identify the units in picture?

Guest JJMCCABE

Guest JJMCCABE

I am trying to identify my grandfather and uncle's units. The picture is the two of them and enlargements of their shoulder and hat insignia. One shoulder insignia looks like HOC and the other looks like LHY. I thought the hat badges might help identify them. My uncle died in the war and the unit information will help me track down where he is buried.

I am trying to identify my grandfather and uncle's units. The picture is the two of them and enlargements of their shoulder and hat insignia. One shoulder insignia looks like HOC and the other looks like LHY. I thought the hat badges might help identify them. My uncle died in the war and the unit information will help me track down where he is buried.

No picture is showing.

Why not just tell us your uncles name? He can then be looked up on the CWGC site.

JJ

All you need to do is visit the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website.

If the search comes back with a number of men of the same name - highly likely then have a look at each one. In many cases the detailed record will include details of next of kin, etc, which might help pin him down. The record will tell you his unit, date of death and place of burial or commemoration.

If you're still stuck, try to post a scanned image here.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JJMCCABE

The attachment is the photograph that I mentioned originally, but must have forgotten to attach.

I tried looking up the name in the Graves Commission website, but there are a lot of J McCabe's. I thought with the regiment, I could narrow it down.

Besides the different shoulder insignia and cap insignia, the 2 uniforms appear to be diferent. The cap styles are different and the tunic collars are different.

Joe

:unsure:

post-23-1090080359.jpg

Hi

The man standing looks to have the cap badge of the Norfolk Yeomanry (The King's Own Royal Regiment) but there is an identical badge for the "Military Provost Staff Corps, Wardens, & Schoolmasters"

Steve

Hi

304234 Private John McCabe

Tank Corps

Died of wounds, France & Flanders, 12/08/1918

Born Liverpool

Enlisted Liverpool

Formerly 1718 2nd Lancashire Yeomanry

Could this be the one you are after?

Steve

Hi

CWGC details show that 304234 Pte J McCabe was in the 13th Battalion Tank Corps and he is buried in Gave IV. B. 18 Daours Communal Cemetery Extension.

Steve

The on-line medal index cards show that he also served as 250710 Private in the Liverpool Regiment.

Steve

I think you might find that the Shoulder Titles of the Chap with the Handlebar 'Tache & Norfolk Yeomanry/Provost Cap Badge{ie The Royal Cypher GVR & Crown} are RDC rather than HOC,

RDC:: Royal Defence Corps:Sort of Home Defence Units,maybe he wore his original cap Badge in preference to the RDC one!?

Hi all!

I found this grave of a man in The Royal Defence Corps in Dover cemetery. As you can see it's the same badge as the soldier in the photograph.

Regards

Terry

post-23-1090094836.jpg

Guest JJMCCABE

I think I am satisfied that my Grandfather John was in the Royal Defence Corp. From the original picture, the RDC could look like HOC.

From the Graves Commission and the history of the Lancashire Hussars Yeomanry, I think my Uncle is John, #202060, The King's (Liverpool Regiment), "C" Coy, 1st/5th Bn and he died on 4/12/1919 and is buried at Bebbington. The additional info listed his mother as Mary, which is my grandmothers name.

Steve,

I am not sure what the 1718 2nd Lancashire Yeomanry is. I also noted that the Army gave new service numbers to the Territorials, which may explain the 2 different service numbers.

Thanks all,

Joe

Steve,

I am not sure what the 1718 2nd Lancashire Yeomanry is. I also noted that the Army gave new service numbers to the Territorials, which may explain the 2 different service numbers.

Thanks all,

Joe

Joe

1718 was his Service Number whilst serving with 2nd Lancashire Yeomanry. They had different service numbers for each different Regiment they served with.

Steve