The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help with Sherwood Foresters unit

thecharlesboy

Hi I have a topic in MEDALS Forum titled 'Help with medal bar' stating

"My Grandad William Benjamin Charles was born in Nelson Road, Normanton, Derbyshire, England in 10.05.1901.

Being a short built man/boy he enlisted in the Notts & Derby Reg Sherwood Foresters at a young age app lying about his age

The story goes while in service he was captured and because of his obvious age was made to work on a pig farm.

While working on the pig farm he always thought he would be be killed so he hid his watch in a wall on the farm, but when released he forgot it."

ken48 replied

"He was, incidentally a Cpl in the Sherwood Foresters 122759

The closest I could find was 118500 who joined June 1918 but there are experts on the Sherwood Foresters on the forum who could probably get a lot closer"

With his Sherwood Foresters number would it be possible to find out what company he was with and what action he was involved in.

and it was suggested that experts out there on the Sherwood Foresters may be able to help me.

Thanks

John William Charles

Am I dreaming or is he the one who served with the Monmouthshire Regt (number 356) after the Notts & Derby Regiment.

The number will not help with the Company he was in.

Do you have his Medal Index Card? and did his service papers survive.

Steve M

I'm also trying to find which Battalion a relative served in. MIC shows regimental number 241921, CARRICK Arthur. Anybody able to advise pls?

• 1 month later...

I'm also trying to find which Battalion a relative served in. MIC shows regimental number 241921, CARRICK Arthur. Anybody able to advise pls?

241921 Arthur Carrick only served overseas with the 2/6th Battalion, Entitled to BWM and VM. Enlisted/drafted spring 1916.

Mike

Thank you. Can I ask where you got the info from?

Andrew, sorry should have given you more info. 241921 is charactersitic of the 1917 renumbering of the 6th Battalion Notts & Derby, ie 24----. The medal role confirns this and shows his service with the 2/6th Battn:-

post-4619-0-82344900-1313092047.jpg

With regards to his date of enlistment or drafting, I have been compiling a nominal role of the 1/6, 2/6 and 3/6 battalions for the last 10 years or so. His number was issued after the Derby Scheme of late 1915 early 1916 and well before the renumbering of Feb 1917. So I would guesstimate spring 1916. He may well have served during the Easter Rising of 1916 and would certainly have arrived in France with the 2/6th Battalion in Feb 1917.

Hope that helps

cheers

Mike