Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tank Manufacturing Plant Photo

chris.wight

I spotted this interesting photo in the Province of Ontario's archives, and according to the caption, it was taken in 1918.

Does anyone know where this would have been?

post-23-1089331644.jpg

It is very similar to pictures shown of the various part of the Foster factory at Lincoln, more info can be found in the Foster's commemorative book, "The Tank and its development" which was reproduced by TEE Publishing in 1977.

Theres a few tanks there waiting to roll of the line.

Does anyone know how many tanks were produced on the British side during the war?

Arm.

I've seen this picture before because it was taken in my town and there's a copy in the Tank Museum at Bovington with a caption giving the location as Wednesbury.

It's a view of the "Long Shop" of the Old Park Works of the Patent Shaft and Axletree Company, Old Park Road, Wednesbury (then in South Staffordshire, now West Midlands.)

Tom

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Tom, is the building still standing?

Chris,

No, it isn't, unfortunately. It was demolished within the lst few years, the last building to be cleared from the site, and the land is now occupied by a huge car-hypermarket.

My uncle was a fitter and remembers occasionally getting a ride in tanks. There was a triangle of land nearby (now built on) where they tested them.

The local library has in its local history collection some large 10" x 8" photos of tanks. I haven't seen these for some years now, but they were pictures of mayors from towns which had sponsored tanks, standing in front of "their" brand new machines, which had the name of the town concerned painted on the front.

Tom

I can't look smart now, late in the day, after Tom spotted it, but I thought it looked a bit of a big shed for Fosters

I've just looked in my copy of "A New Excalibur" and the picture I'm recalling isn't exactly the same one that Chris posted, although I think it's quite recognisable as the same place. It's on page 80 and another on page 81 if anyone would like to check. The caption in the book says it's at the Metropolitan Carriage Co.'s Birmingham works. The Metropolitan Carriage company owned the Patent Shaft's Old Park Works, Wednesbury, which is about 5 miles from Birmingham city centre. They may have called it their Birmingham Works to make it sound more important. The most recent company to do this was IKEA. Those who have passed by Junction 9 of the M6 will have seen the IKEA store at Wednesbury which until a year or so ago, had a sign saying "Welcome to IKEA Birmingham!"

Tom

Arm

According to the data regarding tank production is as follows:-

Vickers Mk1 Total 150

Mk2 Total 50

Mk3 Total 50

Mk4 Total 1,015

Mk5 Total 400

Whippet MkA Total 45

Hope this helps

John

Guest Brummy
I've seen this picture before because it was taken in my town and there's a copy in the Tank Museum at Bovington with a caption giving the location as Wednesbury.

It's a view of the "Long Shop" of the Old Park Works of the Patent Shaft and Axletree Company, Old Park Road, Wednesbury (then in South Staffordshire, now West Midlands.)

Tom

Until I read this I had no Idea that the Old Parks Works was used in the Great War for tank production. I do know that it also served this function during WW2, as my father worked their during the second war.

Brum

This explains why one of the roundabouts on the (relatively) new Black Country Road - the diverted A41 - is the 'Patent Shaft Roundabout'!

Arm

Vickers Mk1 Total 150

Mk2 Total 50

Mk3 Total 50

Mk4 Total 1,015

Mk5 Total 400

Whippet MkA Total 45

Hope this helps

John

John

That seems a very low number for the Medium A 'Whippet'. However, I will have no alternative figures at present - but I will look them up.

Bryn

Arm

Vickers Mk1 Total 150

Mk2 Total 50

Mk3 Total 50

Mk4 Total 1,015

Mk5 Total 400

Whippet MkA Total 45

Hope this helps

John

John

That seems a very low number for the Medium A 'Whippet'. However, I will have no alternative figures at present - but I will look them up.

Bryn

I think the numbers for Whippets should be 200.

Guest Pete Wood
I think the numbers for Whippets should be 200.

Agreed.

There were also the following completed by the armistice:

MkV * 579

MkV** 1 (actually this one was not fully completed until December 1918)

MkVII 1

MkVIII (British type) 1

MkVIII (Liberty type USA hulls only) Estimated 30-40 (all built in November 1918)

MkIX Infantry Supply Tank 23

Medium B 26

MkI Gun Carrier 48 (plus 2 Salvage variants so total 50)

The highest quarterly tank production was in the 2nd quarter of 1918, at 507 tanks completed. The next highest production was 506 in the 3rd quarter of 1917.

Some more orders were completed shortly after the armistice, but I haven't included these figures. Source is Devil's Chariots by John Glanfield.