Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeppelin

zijde26

Is anyone aware of (a)zeppelin(s) somewhere near Ypres ?

Thanks.

Gilbert Deraedt

Thanks.

Gilbert Deraedt

They don't sail zeps anymore!

Thanks.

Gilbert Deraedt

during ww1.

I do have two postcards showing on each card (a Zeppelin and a lot of German soldiers). The caption of both postcards is the same, i.e. " WELTKRIEG 1914-15 VOR YPERN " (worldwar 1914-15 near Ypres). The Zeppelins are certainly not crashed, but seem to be in a depot.

Gilbert Deraedt

I do have two postcards showing on each card (a Zeppelin and a lot of German soldiers). The caption of both postcards is the same, i.e. " WELTKRIEG 1914-15 VOR YPERN " (worldwar 1914-15 near Ypres). The Zeppelins are certainly not crashed, but seem to be in a depot.

Gilbert Deraedt

The Germans built airship sheds in many places in Belgium including Brussels, Evere, Ghent, Liege, Namur, Ostende and Wavre. Some would have housed German Army Airships.The German army used both Zeppelin and Schütte-Lanz rigid airships the latter often being (incorrectly) referred to as Zeppelins. Is it possible for you to post the image of one of the cards?

gilbert,

i've seen one card of a zeppelin, but no idea where it was, I thought it was between ieper and zonnebeke in 1914

kind regards

sabine

A scan of on of both.

Gilbert

Sorry that's not an airship (much too small). I think that its a nurse balloon used to convey gas from the mobile generator plant to where the observation balloons were winched down (which would explain why it's near Ypres) The soldiers would hang onto the side rope and walk it to where the observation balloon needed the gas Nice picture.

See a British nurse balloon being walked.

post-9885-0-84493000-1308409909.jpg

Alternatively given it's size it could be a Drachen Observation balloon itself - however these had a very large flap (see photo) along the side which is not evident in your photo so I still think its some form of nurse balloon.

post-9885-0-38950100-1308410764.jpg

Hallo Gilbert,

it is definitely a Drachen, 'flap' hidden by men

reards,

Cnock