Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Identification assistance, please

CROONAERT

This clip is from a (1914) studio photograph of a French soldier killed in action in 1915 and I was wondering if anyone could confirm the medals for me?

I think they may be the Medaille de 1870-71 and the Medaille Coloniale but am uncertain. Can anyone confirm or deny please?

Thanks.

Dave

post-357-0-52165400-1308305363.jpg

This clip is from a (1914) studio photograph of a French soldier killed in action in 1915 and I was wondering if anyone could confirm the medals for me?

I think they may be the Medaille de 1870-71 and the Medaille Coloniale but am uncertain. Can anyone confirm or deny please?

Thanks.

Dave

Hello Croonaert,

These are two medals from my collection. The colonial medal is a later type, not preWWI era but looks the same. It is hard to see in your pic what medals the man wears. It is quite possible it's the Medaille Coloniale. But I don't know about the Franco-Prussian War medal1870-71? I miss the four black stripes in the ribbon. The medal itself should be dark instead of pale? Do you have a better photograph?

kind regards,

Jef

post-64837-0-10160700-1308321340.jpg

. It is quite possible it's the Medaille Coloniale. But I don't know about the Franco-Prussian War medal1870-71? I miss the four black stripes in the ribbon. The medal itself should be dark instead of pale? Do you have a better photograph?

Thanks Jef.

Unfortunately, that's the best I can do with the photo (its on old newspaper type paper). I thought the same about the colour of the medal and thought that it could possibly be a Tonkin Medal instead but, seeing as the guy saw action at Le Mans in 1871 (and certainly qualified for the 1870-71 Medal... thats the only one I know he definately qualified for (other than the Medaille Militaire, Croix de Guerre, Comm. War Medal an Victory Medal after his death) , I assume that the lightness is due to the reflection from its angle to the camera? Its a darkish ribbon, but I can certainly see the stripes.

cheers.

dave

One can see the vertical stripes on the left-hand ribbon and the suspension on the right looks the same. The etching on the faces would fit. That's the best I can do. Antony