Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with medal bar

thecharlesboy

My Grandfather William Benjamin Charles was in the Notts and Derby's app. he was a P.O.W he was def. under age.

this is his medal bar can anyone tell what they were for.

Thanks

post-73058-0-64508100-1308271845.jpg

Agreed!

Yup no doubt.

Not much use, sadly, posting an Ancestry link for those of us without a subscription. I agree that it is a BWM and Victory (and am stunned that someone hasn't turned up, as usually happens, arguing that the second ribbon is the Order of the Green Elephant of Zanzibar or something ;) ) I think it highly unlikely that anyone would have been POW on 9/11/18 though..

Presuming this is the correct medal card (I can't find any other possible), his date of entry was 9/11/1918. So he was captured immediately?

Don't have Ancestry, I'm afraid. If he 'only' got a BW&VM and he was not an officer, then it's incredibly unlikely that his MIC would give a 'date of entry' into theatre. Sounds much more likely to be an unassociated reference.

Any chance of copying and posting an extract from the card?

Here you go chaps

Rich

• Admin

Unfortunately forum rules do not allow us to post material from Ancestry, but it is a strange card.

The date is written alongside 'date of entry' which is in what appears to be the same hand and ink as the rest of the entry; but clearly there were problems as no entry is shown on the Rolls and in the remarks is written in pencil "Card must be taken to supervisor when roll card appears".

There is no reference to any medal being awarded not even the order of the 'Green Elephant of Zanzibarsmile.gif

On the reverse is a reference to the 'GOC 53rd Welsh Division submits list of personnel entitled to medals in accordance with ACI 526 of 1920' which I think referred to personnel in the Territorial Army - certainly this Division was part of the new Territorial Army by 1920.

He was, incidentally a Cpl in the Sherwood Foresters 122759 and Pte 356 in the Monmouth which suggests a probable transfer while serving in the 46th (North Midland) Division.

I think the reference to entry into theatre is unlikely given the low Monmouth number.

Ken

EDIT Oh I see the rules have been ignoredwhistle.png

here is the bit with the date

sorry it is in two parts, easier to do a screen capture as I would have to print scan then post as ancestry won't let me save image direct to computer!!!!

Rich

sorry removing now!

Rich

Unfortunately forum rules do not allow us to post material from Ancestry, but it is a strange card.

The date is written alongside 'date of entry' which is in what appears to be the same hand and ink as the rest of the entry; but clearly there were problems as no entry is shown on the Rolls and in the remarks is written in pencil "Card must be taken to supervisor when roll card appears".

There is no reference to any medal being awarded not even the order of the 'Green Elephant of Zanzibarsmile.gif

On the reverse is a reference to the 'GOC 53rd Welsh Division submits list of personnel entitled to medals in accordance with ACI 526 of 1920' which I think referred to personnel in the Territorial Army - certainly this Division was part of the new Territorial Army by 1920.

He was, incidentally a Cpl in the Sherwood Foresters 122759 and Pte 356 in the Monmouth which suggests a probable transfer while serving in the 46th (North Midland) Division.

I think the reference to entry into theatre is unlikely given the low Monmouth number.

Ken

EDIT Oh I see the rules have been ignoredwhistle.png

Thanks for the wonderful feedback everyone.

My Grandad William Benjamin Charles was born in Nelson Road, Normanton, Derbyshire, England in 10.05.1901.

Being a short built man/boy he enlisted in the Notts & Derby Reg Sherwood Foresters at a young age app lying about his age

The story goes while in service he was captured and because of his obvious age was made to work on a pig farm.

While working on the pig farm he always thought he would be be killed so he hid his watch in a wall on the farm, but when released he forgot it.

On his return home his Mum had spent all his wages so he left and went to Crumlin, Monmouthshie to work in the pits.

He must have joined the Monmouthshire reserves while living in Wales and this pic was taken after the war in Tenby.

He went on to help form the miners federation with his cousin Jack Smith and was chased out of Wales during the great strike but thats another story.

He was tragically killed just before my dad was born so never went back to find his watch and all stories, medals if any have all vanished.

John William Charles

post-73058-0-98468500-1308351385.jpg

• Admin

... as ancestry won't let me save image direct to computer!!!!

Hi Rich

nothing to do with the topic but to save the image to your computer from Ancestry if you are using a Mac ctrl click on the image and save - if you've yet to succumb to Steve Jobs bid for world domination right click on the image and select 'save picture as' also works, I believe...

Ken

• Admin

The cap badge is that of the Monmouthshire Regiment and the fact he is wearing the ribands means it must date from at least 1920 so your assertion it was taken after the war when he was in the 'new' TA has to be right (and incidentally confirmed by the remarks on the mic).

Now we need to sort out the numbers.

The closest I could find was 118500 who joined June 1918 (and was killed in October) but there are experts on the Sherwood Foresters on the forum who could probably get a lot closer and with a higher degree of confidence. (They're like buses - three will come along at once nowwhistle.png)

Ken

Hi Rich

nothing to do with the topic but to save the image to your computer from Ancestry if you are using a Mac ctrl click on the image and save - if you've yet to succumb to Steve Jobs bid for world domination right click on the image and select 'save picture as' also works, I believe...

Ken

Hello Ken

Tried right click and save, doesn't seem to work on that site, that is my usual choice.

Rich

The cap badge is that of the Monmouthshire Regiment and the fact he is wearing the ribands means it must date from at least 1920 so your assertion it was taken after the war when he was in the 'new' TA has to be right (and incidentally confirmed by the remarks on the mic).

Now we need to sort out the numbers.

The closest I could find was 118500 who joined June 1918 (and was killed in October) but there are experts on the Sherwood Foresters on the forum who could probably get a lot closer and with a higher degree of confidence. (They're like buses - three will come along at once nowwhistle.png)

Ken

This is great stuff thank you everyone.

With his Sherwood Foresters number would it be possible to find out what company he was with and what action he was involved in.

thanks again

John

John - Best bet is to amend the thread title to include "Sherwood Foresters".

That should drag an expert in here.

Oh right thanks how do you do that.

John