Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform Identification Munsters

baroleary

Hi there hoping someone can help me. Could anyone out there identify this uniform worn by these soldiers in ww1. Think it may be the Royal Munster fusiliers but not quite sure. I felt sure i got this photo from the Royal Munster fusiliers assoc website but have been unable to locate it again. Looking for my grandfather, who was from Co Kerry, I was told he served in the munster fusiliers, although I think his brother may have been in the Irish guards (not sure if these merged down the track??) his name was James Kelleher from Rathmore Co Kerry Ireland, he lost a leg in battle, believe he may have been trained as a cobbler after his injury, he did receive a war pension. He had a brother Mortimer who was killed in action.

Would appreciate your help, I would love to see a photo of him (there just happens to be a soldier in this photo who is uncanningly similar to my father) shame they don't have names...

Thanks so much to all the forum.

Thankspost-73282-0-70224300-1308143944.jpg

Hi there hoping someone can help me. Could anyone out there identify this uniform worn by these soldiers in ww1. Think it may be the Royal Munster fusiliers but not quite sure. I felt sure i got this photo from the Royal Munster fusiliers assoc website but have been unable to locate it again. Looking for my grandfather, who was from Co Kerry, I was told he served in the munster fusiliers, although I think his brother may have been in the Irish guards (not sure if these merged down the track??) his name was James Kelleher from Rathmore Co Kerry Ireland, he lost a leg in battle, believe he may have been trained as a cobbler after his injury, he did receive a war pension. He had a brother Mortimer who was killed in action.
Would appreciate your help, I would love to see a photo of him (there just happens to be a soldier in this photo who is uncanningly similar to my father) shame they don't have names...
Thanks so much to all the forum.
Thankspost-73282-0-70224300-1308143944.jpg

This is indeed a group of the Royal Munster Fusiliers in 1912 pattern scarlet Full Dress just before WW1, and a grenade symbol of fusiliers can be seen on the right hand drum. Three of the men are drummers with fringed shoulder wings and the man at the right hand of the officer is a Colour Sergeant, one of 8 in the battalion (for companies A to H) and the equivalent of today's company sergeant major. As a Royal regiment collars and cuffs were dark blue.

For what its worth;-

KELLEHER, MORTIMER. Rank: Pte. Regiment or Service: Irish Guards. Unit; 2nd Battalion. Date of Death:02-February-1916. Age at Death,25. Service No:7545. Born in Rathmore, County Cork. Enlisted in Cork while living in Glownea, County Kerry. Killed in Action. Supplementary information; Son of Matthew and Ellen Kelliher; husband of Elizabeth Kelliher; of Glonnonea, Kilcummin, Killarney. Grave or Memorial Reference:II. F. 4. Cemetery: Essex Farm Cemetery in Belgium.

Thank you so much for your help, i really appreciate it. This is a great site, I am so glad I found it.

Thanks again

kelerol

For what its worth;-

KELLEHER, MORTIMER. Rank: Pte. Regiment or Service: Irish Guards. Unit; 2nd Battalion. Date of Death:02-February-1916. Age at Death,25. Service No:7545. Born in Rathmore, County Cork. Enlisted in Cork while living in Glownea, County Kerry. Killed in Action. Supplementary information; Son of Matthew and Ellen Kelliher; husband of Elizabeth Kelliher; of Glonnonea, Kilcummin, Killarney. Grave or Memorial Reference:II. F. 4. Cemetery: Essex Farm Cemetery in Belgium.

Thanks so much, I really appreciate your help.

kelerol

This is indeed a group of the Royal Munster Fusiliers in 1912 pattern scarlet Full Dress just before WW1, and a grenade symbol of fusiliers can be seen on the right hand drum. Three of the men are drummers with fringed shoulder wings and the man at the right hand of the officer is a Colour Sergeant, one of 8 in the battalion (for companies A to H) and the equivalent of today's company sergeant major. As a Royal regiment collars and cuffs were dark blue.

Fantastic.. thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

kelerol