Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Black Watch, 9th Scottish Division

Lachlan

Dear All

I once got help on this topic a couple of years ago but, being a dunderhead, I forgot to save the information so graciously given and I don't know where to find it now !

Basically, I would greatly appreciate information on sleeve insignia worn by 8th Black Watch and if possible, the period during which this insignia was worn.

I remember that they wore coloured cloth arcs at the top of the sleeves (as per a famous photo of 8th BW receiving a rum ration after Longueval). I know one colour was yellow, but were other colours used and if so did they signify the company ? My Gt Uncle was in B Coy.

Any ideas what the rest of the division's infantry wore as battle insignia ?

Lachlan

The company colours of the curved bars were as follows A Red, B Yellow, C Blue, D Green.The scheme was adopted in May 1916 and used until December 1917. From late 1917 all units adopted the divisional insignia worn on both sleeves, a white metal thistle on a circle of dark blue cloth.

Mike

In addition to what Mike has above, there is also evidence that the division wore small patches of regimental tartan on their bonnets and sleeves. During 1918 numbers representing the seniority of battalions within brigades 1-3 were painted on their helmets.

Jon

Thanks for that ! :thumbsup:

I remember seeing in an Osprey book a figure of the 8th Gordons wearing a Tam O' Shanter with the regimental badge on front of a square of Gordons tartan on which was a cut -out red number '8'.