Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scabbard ID Please

4thGordons

This came with (and fits precisely) a British P1888. As far as I know it is not a variant of the P1888 pattern scabbard which were all (I believe) leather with steel chape and locket, at least in British service. To me this does not look British but as far as I can tell it is totally unmarked.

It has the remains of a metal belt loop/hook at the top but it appears to have been cut off.

As I said it fits the P1888 exceptionally well but I do not know what it is. The bayonet that it came with has no non standard (British) markings so no clues there.

TIA

Chris

post-14525-0-86478300-1308070410.jpgpost-14525-0-65554000-1308070418.jpg

post-14525-0-23880200-1308070426.jpg

OK - never mind! I had a sudden inspiration just as I posted this. I believe I have ID'd it as a Scabbard for the US bayonet for the Krag. rifle. Sorry about that!

I also have an 1888 that came in a Krag scabbard, which was missing the hanger and painted a beautiful enamel black... It looks like your belt loop is broken.

These scabbards are often seen paired with a P1888 bayonet, reason being that the original leather scabbards are hard to come by and the Krag scabbards are plentiful.

Of course the fact that they seem to fit each other so well is something that has not escaped the notice of wily collectors looking to refurnish an otherwise 'naked' bayonet.!

Cheers, S>S