Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Gwalior Cup ? RPVD ?

danlyon

I am a little stumped by the caption at the bottom of a photo, which has come to me in a format which this site won't accept. It is of a group of six Officers and NCOs with pith helmets, suggesting India, seated behind a number of large and impressive silver trophies. As far as I can make out, the very faint handwriting in the first line of the caption says "Staff RPDV 1913-1914 with Gwalior Cup and other trophies". The second line is a little more difficult, but appears to say "Gwalior Cup open to all Vol Art in India and Burma, started in 1911, won by Art Coy's RPVD 1911-1912, 1912-1913, and 1913-1914". The photo came from the granddaughter of an RGA Officer, but I don't know his unit : clearly Art(illery), but puzzled by Vol(unteer?)if these were Regulars, and totally baffled by RPVD. Help please. Dan

A quick Google tells me that the Gwalior Cup is a Polo competition.

'Staff' indicates an establishment (depot, school, or base of some kind).

So, 'P' could stand for 'Polo'......

Or not.

Edit; is it RPVD or RPDV? You've spelt it both ways.....

Dan

The cup was won by the Artillery Companies of the Rangoon Port Defence Volunteers and it was a Challenge Cup presented by Major General his Highness the Maharaja of Gwalior for competition amongst Port Defence Volunteers in India. Source is The Leader newspaper (published in Allahabad) of 10th April 1912.

Aled

Dan

The cup was won by the Artillery Companies of the Rangoon Port Defence Volunteers and it was a Challenge Cup presented by Major General his Highness the Maharaja of Gwalior for competition amongst Port Defence Volunteers in India. Source is The Leader newspaper (published in Allahabad) of 10th April 1912.

Aled

RPDV / RPVD - I must have a word with the MO about my dysxelia.

Many thanks Aled, I can now make sense of the entire caption. All I have to do now is work out what a British Army subaltern is doing having his photograph taken with a trophy won by a Rangoon volunteer unit. Were the volunteers commanded by Imperial Officers ?

Dan