Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Another one I cannot find.

museumtom

From a newspaper dated between 22 and 29th September, 1917.

At the Curragh Camp yesterday, Private John Cooper, aged 17, was accidentally shot dead while cleaning a revolver.

Try as I might I cannot find this chap, can you?

Kind regards.

tom.

There is the following records on of County Kildare casualties:

Cooper, John. Rank; Private. Died 1917. Born Curragh Camp.

I wonder if it he's one and the same.

Sorry chaps, typo corrected, it should read 'shot dead while cleaning a revolver.'

'Cooper, John. Rank; Private. Died 1917. Born Curragh Camp' any number?

There is this chap, who is the only J. Cooper or (?).J. Cooper on CWGC to die in that time frame;

Name: COOPER

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Training Reserve

Unit Text: 221st Bn.

Death: 26/09/1917

Service No: 17227 Grave/Memorial Reference: II. 786.

Cemetery: DARWEN CEMETERY

221st Bn were made up of 'young soldier' battalions, but it was based in Wales rather than at the Curragh, so he's unlikely.

Edit; he's the only one obn CWGC NOT buried or on a memorial in France.

A mystery wrapped up in an enigma...

You have done very well all the same;. Some guys are juts unfindable.

Much appreciated lads.

Kind regards.

Tom.

I saw that one too but discounted it for similar reasons. Either the report is wrong or he's hiding out there somewhere just waiting to be found.

He does seem a prime candidate for a training bn.

The 65th Division was bases at Curragh in 1917.

The 213th and 221st Graduated battalions were in the area according to the LLT and may be a good unit to look at.

Actually just a thought - John Cooper was part of the 221st - is it possible that the papers were mixed up with news coming from the camp in respect of the unit ? . it appears to have joined the division in July 1917. Was the unit still split between two bases in the September ?

• 2 years later...

Hi

I am working with the Friends of Darwen Cemetery and we are researching the WW1 dead buried in the Cemetery, including John Cooper.

I realise that the question about John Cooper was asked in 2011 and I hope this helps and I would be interested in obtaining a copy of the newspaper report of his death.

Regards

Tony Foster

Cooper John.doc

Hello Tony. That is all it said about him, just one line.

At the Curragh Camp yesterday, Private John Cooper, aged 17, was accidentally shot dead while cleaning a revolver.

• 4 years later...
On 03/10/2013 at 07:36, museumtom said:

Hello Tony. That is all it said about him, just one line.

Hi

I know some time has passed since we last corresponded about John Cooper. Are you still interested in him as I might be able to send you more infornation

Tony

Tom

Advantage of old posts resurrected. Down to bad reporting/misreporting. He was in fact Joseph Cooper. Quite easy to get - troll the databas for all "John" died in Naas in 18=917, the all "cooper" and it is there

cooper.jpg.fde9b7db42f7249c31b1bbb92b66334a.jpg

Hi

Re John at  Cooper killed at The Curragh 26th Sep 1917:

The Darwen News, Saturday, Sep 29,1917

Private J Cooper

Private John Cooper, son of Mr and Mrs Cooper, Greenway Street, serving with a Training Corps at Curragh Camp, Ireland, was, on Sunday night, accidentally shot in the neck, and died on Wednesday from his injuries. Eighteen years of age, he had been in the Army only about two months and before joining was a weaver at New Mill.

Dublin Daily Express, Saturday, September 29, 1917

Soldier shot at Curragh Camp

A Tragic Accident

An inquest was held on Wednesday at the Military Hospital, Curragh Camp, into the death of Private John Cooper, who was found shot in the servants’ room of Keane’s Barracks. The evidence showed that on Monday evening at 6.30pm Private Cooper was in the servants’ quarter of Keane’s Barracks with Private Clarke, Bury and Tracy. At the time Clarke, Bury and Cooper were engaged in playing cards in the room when Private Tracy, who was an officer’s servant, left the room to get a revolver, which belonged to an officer, for the purpose of cleaning it. Soon after returning to the room, while cleaning the trigger with a little rag, there was a loud report, and Cooper fell back with his hands above his head. It was found afterwards that he had been shot through the neck on the left side, the bullet touching the spinal cord.

Lieutenant Chapman, RAMC, deposed to attend the deceased. He had him conveyed to the Military Hospital, where he died from heart failure at 2.30 am on that morning.

The jury found that deceased me his death from a revolver bullet wound accentually received.

Tony