Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lewis gun question

Stuart212

Hello, this my first post, can someone please help me.

Can someone please tell me why Lewis guns mounted on aircraft were different to those carried by infantry, was it something to do with the weight of the gun ?

Thanks.

Stuart

Hello, this my first post, can someone please help me.

Can someone please tell me why Lewis guns mounted on aircraft were different to those carried by infantry, was it something to do with the weight of the gun ?

Thanks.

Stuart

Cooling I think Stuart. The aircraft ones, because of the slipstream did not need the cooling shroud.

Chris

PS - welcome! :)

Cooling I think Stuart. The aircraft ones, because of the slipstream did not need the cooling shroud.

Chris

PS - welcome! :)

Weight. The Lewis gun cooling system consisted of vanes and a tubular casing. The vanes actually channelled air through the tube (unnecessary on an aircraft) but the tube also had another vital function - to protect the fragile gas cylinder as even a small knock could render the gun useless. Guns were originally fitted with the full tube arrangement and then there was a slimmed down version but aircrews had already begun to strip the gun right down to save weight with a resultant increase in the number of guns in the stores waiting for replacement gas cylinders. However with Foster and Scarff mountings the chance of knocking the barrel became less but many Lewises still retained the lighter weight cooling system as a protection. The Fench used a perforated metal trough below the barrel to protect the gas cylinder.

Weight. The Lewis gun cooling system consisted of vanes and a tubular casing. The vanes actually channelled air through the tube (unnecessary on an aircraft) but the tube also had another vital function - to protect the fragile gas cylinder as even a small knock could render the gun useless. Guns were originally fitted with the full tube arrangement and then there was a slimmed down version but aircrews had already begun to strip the gun right down to save weight with a resultant increase in the number of guns in the stores waiting for replacement gas cylinders. However with Foster and Scarff mountings the chance of knocking the barrel became less but many Lewises still retained the lighter weight cooling system as a protection. The Fench used a perforated metal trough below the barrel to protect the gas cylinder.

Wot he said! (because the cooling system was not needed weight could be saved) I stand corrected.

Chris

To illustrate one of my drawings

Stripped down Lewis and one with lightweight jacket

post-9885-0-47538100-1307977480.jpg

4th Gordons and Centurian, many thanks to you both for your speedy replies and great illustrations, it all makes sense to me now !

Thanks.

Stuart