Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shorter muzzle G98

Deerhunter

I don't know whether anyone can assist, but I have a 1909-dated G98 which does not fit a standard 98/05 bayonet, or rather on which a 98/05 does not fit quite as it should.

The muzzle, or rather the section of the barrel which extends past the barrel band is 102mm long, which means that when a bayonet is fitted, that the handle of the bayonet extends past the end of the muzzle by approx 35mm.

Has anyone seen anything similar?

I don't know whether anyone can assist, but I have a 1909-dated G98 which does not fit a standard 98/05 bayonet, or rather on which a 98/05 does not fit quite as it should.

The muzzle, or rather the section of the barrel which extends past the barrel band is 102mm long, which means that when a bayonet is fitted, that the handle of the bayonet extends past the end of the muzzle by approx 35mm.

No. I just measured a couple of different variants of the 98 and on all of them the length from the front band to the muzzle is @139mm which would fit with your measurement.

The Kar 98a has a much shorter distance between font band an muzzle which creates the effect to which you refer (hence the need for flash guards on the bayonets:see below)

post-14525-0-38297600-1307924154.jpg

The only variant that I measured which is substantially shorter is the Turkish Mauser but that uses a different form of bayonet mounting with a muzzle ring.

Is the over all length of the rifle standard or has the barrel been "nipped" (if so what is the foresight like - is it a replacement?) It is possible that the barrel or crown was damaged at some point and the muzzle cut back and recrowned. This has been done to my MLE (although far less dramatically - <10mm - just enough to mean the P1888 bayonet ring misses the end of the barrel! :(

Hopefully GEW98 will be a long with the answer!

Chris

If your rifle does not mount a bayonet anything like these pictured...you either do not have a gew98 or you have one that has been shortened by someone post german use. The kar98a as 4th G pictured is the only geman rifle that would mount a bayonet like it did...and hence the reason when used like things do tend to in war caused the germans to redesign their bayonets with a sheet metal flashguard to prevent the grips from getting blown off the bayonet hilt when fired while mounted on the kar98a.

post-7211-0-42642000-1307979197.jpg

Gents,

Thanks for your concise answers.

OK, this is definitely a G98. The foresight is standard, and is not a replacement. The receiver, barrel, and woodwork do not appear to have been repaired or re-worked in any way.

I'm aware that there is no reason that this rifle should be non-standard and, certainly, non-standard production is something you would not expect from the pre-War German armaments industry.

Cheers for the assistance.

Rgds,

DH

Post a picture of it please if you can, as I am curious to see it.

On a side note, sorry to hijack, would any of you guys know if the Czech 98/22 had the shorter export bayonet lug? I bought a stock for my relic G98 a long time ago but only just realised when I went to check mine that its the shorter style though a S98/05Na fits fine. I guessed it wasnt a G98 stock as the action doesnt quite fit.

Gaz

DH - what is the overall length of the rifle?

I agree pictures would be interesting... any chance?

I know that inter-war some games were played to circumvent some of the Versailles restrictions which included something about the distinction between rifles and carbines and led to rifles being called carbines! (Kar 98b? iirc)

I assume the bolt is straight and not turned down?

I have seen a picture somewhere of a GEW 98 that was shortened so the muzzle was more or less flush with the end of the forestock so it looks like some of the cavalry carbine - reputedly done in Spain but I have nothing to back that up.

An example:

post-14525-0-65434800-1307991957.jpg

Looking into this I aslo saw mention that InterArms (a large US dealer) shortened some GEW Barrels in the 1950s and 60s although I cannot determine the length.

post-14525-0-36709800-1307991971.jpg

Chris

The only other thing I could think of that would produce a shorter barrel (apart from the mentioned physical shortening) is a straightout barrel swap.

I'm not that sure of the technical stuff on this idea, but I was wondering if it could have had a shorter "export Mauser" barrel fitted new from the factory.

Obviously the rifle is non-standard, but why ... all I know is that they were making a lot of Mauser rifles for export during that immediate pre-war period.

Mostly made for the South American countries they were usually very close copies of the Gew98. The Argentinian version Mauser is also the Model 1909.

Anyway its just a simple theory that I thought I'd throw out there for discussion. To those with more expertise - please feel free to shoot it down at will.!

Cheers, S>S

Would any of you guys know if the Czech 98/22 had the shorter export bayonet lug?

Gaz, had a look at a photo of one in a book (appears to be the same mounting system as the Gew98) - so no, long bayonet lug.

Cheers, S>S

Cheers, S>S, I did google it but there are not many pictures, what is there is mostly at low resolution so couldn't really see.

Id guess then my stock is a Small ring Mauser probably South American one. Based on the action seems too large for the stock. Its in there just not seated very deep, Should dremel it out oneday and change the lug over as I have a long pattern on here. Don't panic I wont ruin a usable stock, cracks, chips and splits just about everywhere, the recoil and shock of a shot would turn it to spliters... prefect condition for a relic though :)

Gaz

Gents,

Thanks for your comments and suggestions thus far. I'm away this week so cannot get a photo posted, although hopefully will be able to this weekend. The G98 is definitely German issued, has numberous Imperial acceptance and proof marks has a butt disk to a Kurassier Regiment, and is matching numbers (the stock, barrel bands, the lot, except for the bolt). It is in very good condition for its age, and does not look like it has been damaged / refurbed, as I mentioned above. I'll get some photos and more accurate dimensions posted this weekend but, for now, thanks for your assistance.

DH

DH - what is the overall length of the rifle?

I agree pictures would be interesting... any chance?

I know that inter-war some games were played to circumvent some of the Versailles restrictions which included something about the distinction between rifles and carbines and led to rifles being called carbines! (Kar 98b? iirc)

I assume the bolt is straight and not turned down?

I have seen a picture somewhere of a GEW 98 that was shortened so the muzzle was more or less flush with the end of the forestock so it looks like some of the cavalry carbine - reputedly done in Spain but I have nothing to back that up.

An example:

post-14525-0-65434800-1307991957.jpg

Looking into this I aslo saw mention that InterArms (a large US dealer) shortened some GEW Barrels in the 1950s and 60s although I cannot determine the length.

post-14525-0-36709800-1307991971.jpg

Chris

These 'chopped' gew98's were done by the importer back in the 60's. They were all part of the loads of rifles sold off by spain. The crude nature of their shortening and overall crude finish ( often just black paint) with just as often bad bores leave them less than endearing all around. Ther eis a dealer over on the gunboards trade forum whom has been trying to sell one for almost a year. Started at $750 and now down to $300...barely worth half that.

The czech 98/22's as first made were identical down to the Lange Viser rear sight to the gew98. In short order the czechs went to a tangent type rear sight and warp around handguard. They use the typical german pattern bayonet lug. The only short lugs I have seen have been on south american contract 7mm mausers.

Cheers Gew98. It would explain why a G98 doesnt quite seat fully into the stock its not meant for a g98 and I had to remove part of the wrap around handguard as it didnt fit over the Lange sight on my G98 relic. (dont worry the stock was in relic shape before this, used and abused comes to mind)

Gaz

• 2 weeks later...

G , I have used many a 98/22 stock to put a sportered gew98 back in serviceable shape for shooting. The brazilian 08 mauser stock will work as well, but you would need to swap out the bayonet lugs.