Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo ID

Arnhem44

Hi everyone,on behalf of the owner of these photo's I was wondering if someone could help out with some identification.Whilst I can i.d some of the badges in the photo's I struggle with others so any help would be appreciated.Some of the photo's are marked in the bottom right hand corner with Eastboro,Scarboro(Scarborough I presume) so maybe these are from a camp in that location.

Kind regards

Brendan

This is the first three

photo1.jpg

Photo2.jpg

Photo3.jpg

Hi everyone,on behalf of the owner of these photo's I was wondering if someone could help out with some identification.Whilst I can i.d some of the badges in the photo's I struggle with others so any help would be appreciated.Some of the photo's are marked in the bottom right hand corner with Eastboro,Scarboro(Scarborough I presume) so maybe these are from a camp in that location.

Kind regards

Brendan

This is the first three

photo1.jpg

Photo2.jpg

Photo3.jpg

First picture needs a close up of some of the shoulder straps to ID units.

Second photo is a Lancashire Fusiliers Sergeant and RSM (possibly from the same regiment) flanked by two sergeants in the Royal Artillery.

The third photo is of a group of RAMC (medical corps) officers, possibly outside a railway waiting room or on a guard room verandah.

Here are the next ones

Photo4.jpg

Photo6.jpg

photo7.jpg

First picture again needs a close up of the shoulder straps to ID units but I believe some are likely to be Royal Artillery and the date some time in 1918, as there are lots of overseas service chevrons on show.

Second picture shows a concert party with a group of Royal Artillery officers and men.

Third picture is of two riflemen of the Rifle Brigade.

The next three

photo11.jpg

photo13.jpg

photo14.jpg

I think that these photos are of bandsmen and soldiers of the Royal Sussex Regiment but I would need close ups of the caps and collars to be positive.

post-599-0-74039900-1307824169.jpg

Here are the last one's

photo15.jpg

photo16.jpg

And one pre war photo I think

photo17.jpg

The first two photos seem to be men of the Royal Artillery.

The second photo shows the cookhouse staff of sergeant cook, chefs and kitchen orderlies and the the boxers might well be RA too - two of the men have breeches for men on mounted duties and one has spurs so they might be 'drivers'.

The third picture is an odd hotchpotch as the uniform is not standard SD and the leather equipment is a strange mixture made to look as if the man has an officers style cross strap. He also appears to have had a painted badge of a harp and shamrock leaves (?) superimposed over his cap. I do not think he is a British regular soldier.

Sorry one lot didn't go in right.Here they are.

Regards

Brendan

photo8.jpg

photo9.jpg

photo10.jpg

The first photo is difficult and needs a closer view of the caps and collars, but tentatively I believe it might be a group of Canadian infantry in British SD from the Royal 22nd Regiment, a French Canadian unit and taken in 1918, given the various stripes and medal ribbons. I have attached their badges, albeit with the current Queen's crown.

The second photo is a Sergeant Assistant Instructor of Gymnastics in the Royal Artillery.

The third photo seems likely to be RA too but needs a closer view of the large shoulder strap badges (titles). It too looks to have been taken in 1918 from the various badges on display.

post-599-0-35024000-1307823979.jpg

Is there any unified theme to these photos?

They seem a fairly random selection of regiments, both war-time and post-war.

There seems to be a bit of an RGA thing going on, perhaps. But I can't work out much that links them together apart from the fact that some seem to have been taken by the same local photographer.

Regarding the mixed units, could this be a convalescent depot?

Also, in the background of the concert party photo, there are several numbers painted above a pepperpot-shaped device on the wall of the hut. Anyone know the significance of these?

Regarding the mixed units, could this be a convalescent depot?

Also, in the background of the concert party photo, there are several numbers painted above a pepperpot-shaped device on the wall of the hut. Anyone know the significance of these?

Not clear if it's a convalescent depot Kate, but there are a lot of wound stripes present, albeit that I think most 1918 photos would show a high number of ex-wounded..

It looks very much like a firing butts with the numbers showing the location of targets. Close examination of the wall and windows makes me think they are false and part of a scheme of varied target scenarios.

The very first photo, shows very young lads wearing the battle patch of 34th Division, but the fact that none are wearing wound stripes, plus the trendy hair-do's and their young age leads me to suspect these may be young lads off to join 34th Div as part of the Occupation of the Rhine post 1918/19.

Hi Brendan. Nice photographs. Can I ask which image hosting site you use. I like the way you can just click on the thumbnail, and the images are extremely clear. :thumbsup:

Mike

The man sitting in uniform, right on the concert photo is a Reverend (Chaplain's Department cap badge)

Pierre

Hi all,thank you so much for all your replies they are most appreciated.I don't have any close up of the photo's,just the ones as they are.The photographs belonged to the owners elderly relative who was living in South Ripon in Yorkshire at the time.I don't know if they are all related to one another but there does seem to be a theme for some with the R.A. alright.I did wonder about all the wound stripes present and if these were men waiting to be demobbed maybe but I don't know enough about these things myself.Mike I use http://www.postimage.org/ ,it's so easy to use to be honest I favour it over the likes of photo bucket for quick load ups.Thanks again to everyone.

Kind regards

Brendan

Hi all,thank you so much for all your replies they are most appreciated.I don't have any close up of the photo's,just the ones as they are.The photographs belonged to the owners elderly relative who was living in South Ripon in Yorkshire at the time.I don't know if they are all related to one another but there does seem to be a theme for some with the R.A. alright.I did wonder about all the wound stripes present and if these were men waiting to be demobbed maybe but I don't know enough about these things myself.Mike I use http://www.postimage.org/ ,it's so easy to use to be honest I favour it over the likes of photo bucket for quick load ups.Thanks again to everyone.

Kind regards

Brendan

If you can scan the originals it might be possible to get close ups of the badges, but I am not an expert in such IT matters. I have seen that some other posters here have somehow been able to do that and then with a close up, even if blurred as is likely, it is usually possible to get a firm ID.