Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

15 rounds a minute

Bayne

Hi folks,

I am aware that aspects of this topic have been covered before. I have just refreshed my memory from the 2007 Blog Musketry manuals and training initiated by Chris.

My query is rather specific and I suspect the evidence is no longer available but it is this.

Given that during his Musketry course a trained 1914 soldier was expected to fire 15 rounds a minute on target has anyone any idea of

1. how many soldiers in a company/battalion achieved this rate of fire?

2. how many could put all 15 anywhere in the target irrespective of their score?

3. how many would be classified as first class shots?

Not too much to ask eh!

Regards,

John

According to Major Pridham an instructor at Hythe by 1914 ALL soldiers in the infantry of the regular army could fire 15 rounds a minute at 300 yards with no misses - the overwhelming majority in the bull or inner circle. Any one who failed this was out on his ear as "an inefficient soldier".

I have some Battalion Standing Orders for a TF battalion for a couple of years before the out break of war. They list discharges, promotions, re enlistments etc In every year there are a couple of soldiers noted as unqualified in musketry (It is not clear that this is because they failed or they are yet to be tested). Given that the TF Battalion was rather understrength pre war this is a couple of men in 5 or 6 hundred?

I am not sure how reliable a measure that is but it gives some indication.

Chris

There was always someone, somewhere who couldn't meet that relatively easy standard. In the regulars, especially infantry, they were usually out on their ear, as C says. In the TF, Volunteers, etc., they might find a hole as a company clerk or the like. If a man couldn't match his comrades in such things, he usually didn't want to hang around anyway. Depending on the the given date, there was also always someone who was coming or going and in the middle of attaining standards. Not unusual. Antony

Hi folks,

I am aware that aspects of this topic have been covered before. I have just refreshed my memory from the 2007 Blog Musketry manuals and training initiated by Chris.

My query is rather specific and I suspect the evidence is no longer available but it is this.

Given that during his Musketry course a trained 1914 soldier was expected to fire 15 rounds a minute on target has anyone any idea of

1. how many soldiers in a company/battalion achieved this rate of fire?

2. how many could put all 15 anywhere in the target irrespective of their score?

3. how many would be classified as first class shots?

Not too much to ask eh!

Regards,

John

Thank you all for the info.