Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trip to Gallipoli

Derek Robertson

Can anyone recommend a decent tour operator for a visit to Gallipoli next year?

Len Sellers, I think, runs two trips a year - I attending his Sept trip with Martin and Kate.

Len is obviously globally known for his knowledge of the RND and if the RND yr major interest in Gallipoli, then I expect following my trip in Sept, I will not hesitate to recommend him.

The Gallipoli Association also run trips (two this year, I believe) which are led by Michael Hickey.

Tours with experts have also planned trips and I believe that Holts do so as well.

You need to think about what you might be prepared to pay (say £600 to £1800); the standard of facilities you want with your accommodation and the extent to which you want to be guided and how adventurous that guiding should be (how fit are you and do you really want to visit Y beach!).

I have a feeling that the Wolverhampton (?) branch of the WFA is also planning a trip - and WFA activities are supposed to be open to all regarless of membership.

If there is enough demand Chris might even be persuaded that we should run a pals trip next year (hint).

Jon has already said he will be there in September in company with myself and others. We will be covering the whole of the peninsula - even the areas where the RND were not a major presence. If anyone wants contact details for Len's trips by all means contact me off forum. Pictures from last year were posted on the forum and, yes, the grapes were excellent.

Martin

I have heard that the Gallipoli Association tours are very good; we ran into (and filmed) one during the making of Gallipoli: The First D Day; they are amongst the cheapest at around £800 per person. Most others seem to be £1,100 - £1,500+.

To be honest, I personally think it is a battlefield you could and should do on your own: the exploration of it is half the fun. There are two good guide books (Taylor/Cupper and the Holts) plus lots of internet info including my own at:

http://battlefields1418.50megs.com/gallipo...attlefields.htm

And plenty of members on here who have been and only to happy to offer advice, I am sure.

Derek,

A further vote for the above suggestions

-There are glowing reports of The Gallipoli Association tours

-Len Sellers is great with a terrific atmosphere on his compact RND tours

-At the travel agents mentioned by Paul on his site, Guven Pinar made some transport & hotel [istanbul] arrangements for me which proved to be excellent

What ever your choice, the best of luck and enjoy a great experience

Will you be at the ‘Horse’ monument at 7pm on the 12th July?

It was my privilege to attend this ceremony a few years ago and to be invited later to join the ‘Gallants’ as they marched with a piper through Wilton Park to the War Memorial there. After the two ceremonies there were refreshments at the ex-servicemen’s club and an excellent slide show/lecture given by Gavin Richardson. The evening is well remembered in my family as we were three generations attending and marching that day.

Best regards

Michael D.R.

Derek

As one who has been to Gallipoli,I agree with Paul Reed's

suggestion that you go it alone, do you own thing, at your

own pace without being regimented to a timepiece.

Arm youself with the Taylor/Cupper guide book, do your

research on the net and go for it.

I had three days in Istanbul, staying at the Hotel Turkoman

[opposite the Blue Mosque, so no good for late sleepers]

US$30.00/night in 2001,then coach to Canakkale [uS$9.00]

booked into Anzac House Hostel, US$6.00/day,and then by

having one of the staff at the Hostel negotiate a price from

a Taxi Driver in Eceabat,over a 10 day period I thouroughly

did Helles and Suvla in a booked taxi that took me to where

I wanted and waited as long as I wanted for US$25/day.

Being an Aussie the bulk of my time was spent at Anzac Sector

and using the Taylor/Cupper Anzac map with the names in

English and Turkish I was dropped at say, point A at 0800

and picked up at point B at 1630 every day.

Not once was I let down.

That was my experience, food for thought.

Peter Robb {Bluedog]

There's much food for thought here!

Thanks very much to everyone who have taken the time to give me information.