and reverse

post-7723-0-94436600-1307694784.jpg

post-7723-0-82246500-1307694922.jpg

Hi,

is this a genuine one?

Cnock

and reverse

and reverse

Hmm, difficult to say. Whenever I see too much 'white stuff' on the reverse, I get suspicious. Slider looks a little short. But then, could be absolutely fine. If I had it in my hand I'd be able to tell...

P

Agree with Peter on the masses of white stuff on the back, but for me the detail on St George also looks to be on the crude side - even if allowing for polishing.

Hi,

is this a genuine one?

Cnock

and reverse

and reverse

It's not a very good striking but not all badges were, especially with the increased production necessary in WW1. I believe that the NF had the record for the most battalions in WW1 with from memory, 52 battalions. Given that each man was issued with 2 badges and there were stocks held for depots, hospitals and extra-regimentally employed men, an awful lot of badges of this particular pattern were made, before modern re-strikes are even considered. At least it does not have a hair pin or otherwise obviously false slider.

It's not a very good striking but not all badges were, especially with the increased production necessary in WW1. I believe that the NF had the record for the most battalions in WW1 with from memory, 52 battalions. Given that each man was issued with 2 badges and there were stocks held for depots, hospitals and extra-regimentally employed men, an awful lot of badges of this particular pattern were made, before modern re-strikes are even considered. At least it does not have a hair pin or otherwise obviously false slider.

Worn from the early 1900's until the mid-1930's and probably struck by various makers and taking into consideration the Great War, then thousands upon thousands of these would have been manufactured and worn. How many were turned in on completion of service, lost generally at home or on battlefields or kept & just given away is anyones guess, but it's the most common of all badges to be found for collections. To me it looks OK, although you just never know these days, but it certainly wasn't made recently.

Hi guys,

thanks for the info!

regards,

Cnock

There is only one way that brasso polish got behind the slider and into the dome of the back of the badge and that is probably with a brush to hide the poor detail and condition of a restrike.

There is only one way that brasso polish got behind the slider and into the dome of the back of the badge and that is probably with a brush to hide the poor detail and condition of a restrike.

Another very sweeping statement. So genuine badges never have dried polish behind them?