Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trenchmap Arras spring 1917

Guest hmg.scheffer

Guest hmg.scheffer

We are "doing" Arras and Cambrai by the end of this month.

For that visite I am looking for a trenchmap with details of the Arras spring-offensive of 1917.

I allready have the 3 maps included in the old IWM CD but they are from 1916 and 1918...

Or would it be safe to assume that the Arras map dated dec. 27th 1916 did not "change an awfull lot towards the first 1917 offensive?

Also a trenchmap of the same area and timespan including Monchy-le-Preux would be highly appreciated (as is all other assistance in this matter)!

Best regards,

Erik

Hi Erik

I could send you a lot of material to help your trip to the Arras battlefields but it would be easier if you had 5 posts and therefore could use the Personal Messaging system. If you answer this post with a few more, maybe outlining some detail of what you are visiting for and get to 5 posts then after the 5th you could then send me your email address using the PM system.

Unfortunately it is not easy to use trenchmaps for the April battles as the German retreat in February and March, especially the latter month, meant that many of the existing maps were already out of date. Then the advance was so great on the first day that new maps were not drawn for some time. I have, however, a number of unit maps with the new British front line drawn in to help you orientate yourself as to where the attacks went in.

It would be easier to send the most appropriate material if you had some specific reason for the visit or indeed, if it was simply a general view of the battle.

Jim