Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Information on new bayonet purchase please

coldstreampaul

Hello Forum members,

I purchased this bayonet at the weekend, although in poor condition it was low priced and I thought worthy of research.

The top has the markings 3 D L or 3 D I could this stand for 3rd Battalion Durham Light Infantry?

I understand it is Remmington made, is the date June 1916?

Not to sure of the other markings on the blade and can anyone explain the grooves on the handle.

I think the rust may be set in or could it be redeemed, the blade is not too bad it has been oiled and the the leather has been nourished!

As always I am very gratefull for your replies

Cheers

Paul

pic

pic

pic

post-57811-0-12092000-1307484228.jpg

post-57811-0-05425300-1307484317.jpg

post-57811-0-93944300-1307484394.jpg

post-57811-0-29459200-1307484438.jpg

post-57811-0-05293500-1307484490.jpg

Hi Paul

You have a Pattern 13 Bayonet made in June of 1916 by Remington in the USA. This bayonet if for the Pattern 14 rifle.

The date is as you indicate.

The stamp on the obverse of the ricasso is a bend test (X) and an inspectors stamp.

I cannot make out the unit markings on the pommel from the picture but the usual abbreviation for the Durham Light Infantry is DLI

The grooves in the handle are to distinguish this type from the p1907 bayonet for the SMLE series of rifles which are visually very similar and used an identical scabbard but ARE NOT interchangeable (the muzzle ring is a different height and diameter) and the grooves give an quick and easy visual distinction.

Chris

Hi Paul

You have a Pattern 13 Bayonet made in June of 1916 by Remington in the USA. This bayonet if for the Pattern 14 rifle.

The date is as you indicate.

The stamp on the obverse of the ricasso is a bend test (X) and an inspectors stamp.

I cannot make out the unit markings on the pommel from the picture but the usual abbreviation for the Durham Light Infantry is DLI

The grooves in the handle are to distinguish this type from the p1907 bayonet for the SMLE series of rifles which are visually very similar and used an identical scabbard but ARE NOT interchangeable (the muzzle ring is a different height and diameter) and the grooves give an quick and easy visual distinction.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the reply and the information, that is most helpful.

Cheers

Paul