Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

9th. Battalion Norfolk Regiment

geo lavell

Do some knowledgable people out there in this fantastic site know of the whereabouts of the above. Two Brothers Herbert & William Aldis both belonging to the above died on the same day. Herbert is buried in the Guillemont Road Cemetary. William is commemorated on the Thiepvel Memorial.

This is just out of curiousity as I have the same surname and my forebears came from Norfolk, although my limited research does not place them in my immediate family.

Regards

Ken

Hi

At 1am on 15th the 9th Norfolks took up a line on the road from Ginchy to Leuze Wood in readiness for an attack on "The Quadrilateral" Poor artillery support and uncut wire made it impossible for the Battalion to enter the Quadrilateral and at about 11.45am 40 men got close up to the enemy wire in front of the stronghold, the rest of the survivors scattered in shell holes between them and the Ginchy road. An attempt was made along with other units to work round the flanks, but this too failed. After midnight the remains of the Battalion was withdrawn into trenches south of Guillemont.

Regards

Martin

Martin

Thanks for the info

Regards

Ken