Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Young Aussie's Devotion to Duty

BottsGreys

We have had several threads over the past few months about the form, nature, and importance of condolence letters to NOK regarding the fallen. I thought this case might be a good example of just how these letters were probably cherished and, in this case, even utilized by their recipients. Below and following post is a scan of either a file copy or the officer's personal copy of a condolence letter to the family of this man:

Bidmead, Stanley Mollet

Number: 15106

Unit: 4th Div Signal Coy Australian Engineers

Service: Army

Conflict: 1914-1918

Date of Death: 08/12/1917

Place of Death:

Cause of Death: Died of wounds

Memorial Panel: 25

Cemetery or Memorial Details: FRANCE 102 Bologne Eastern Cemetery

Next Of Kin:

Place Of Enlistment: Fremantle, WA

Native Place: St Peters Adelaide SA

Notes: BIDMEAD, Spr. Stanley Mollet, 15106. 4th Div. Signal Coy. Australian Engineers. Died of wounds (gas) 8th Dec., 1917. Age 20. Son of Joseph Thomas and Adelaide Mary Bidmead, of 162, Watkins St., Fremantle, Western Australia. Native of St. Peters, Adelaide, South Australia. VIII. I. 129.

Source: AWM145 Roll of Honour cards, 1914-1918 War, Army

post-1-1089231352.jpg

In researching Stanley Bidmead on the Australian War Memorial and its Roll of Honor, I was lucky enough to make this discovery--Below is a copy (terrible clarity, I know) of question #7 on the questionaire the family filled out to have their son's name included on the Australian Roll of Honor. The questions asks, "Any other biographical details likely to be of interest to the Historian of the A.I.F. or of his Regiment." In reply, the parents have quoted Lt. Burns' condolence letter almost verbatim, "Lieut. Burns wrote he was one of three men in an important sig. station vicinity of Louvebeke [sic] All three were gassed..." Proof that in this case at least, the writing of a condolence letter payed large emotional dividends for the soldier's family.

I thought this might be of interest to others doing research.

Chris

post-1-1089232107.jpg

Botts - loved the post. Further confirmation to me of the immense pride that bereaved families had in their loved ones and just how therapeutic - if I can use that term - these letters were.

One can imagine them being thumbed over again and again.

As a modern day journalist, working on weekly community papers, I never cease to be amazed at the willingness of 1914-18 families to put these documents into the public view in local papers etc. They are often a wonderful historic resource.

Des

They are often a wonderful historic resource.

They certainly are.

It also, in some ways, dispels the idea that the "officer class" was dispassionate and had no or very little personal regard for their men. Most wrote these letters, not because they had to, but because they felt it was the right thing to do.

Great post

Andy

Chris, an excellent post, and good researching. Although sometimes it is commented that these letters gloss over the nature of the soldiers' deaths, I think they must have helped the bereaved families. One can imagine the grief felt anew on each proud, emotional reading, but at the same time, the gaping wound left by loss of a dear one, whilst never to be fully healed, might have been just a little less raw each time.

Guest stevenbec

Mate,

Its also good to check out the Red Cross Cards to see if he gets a mention.

If lucky there are some good discriptions of those actions which the soldier was lost. We also see the many different veiws that soldiers take during an action.

S.B

Thanks everyone--the great thing in doing such a post is getting everyone's thoughts, suggestions, and insights about the subject, the sharing of which are deeply appreciated.

Chris

Jon:

Did you get my PM to you?

Hi Chris

It was great to see your post as Stanley Bidmead is one of the Fremantle soldiers that I'm researching.

Around 650 soldiers from Fremantle died in WW1

The details I have on him which don't differ much from what you have already shown are

15106 - Spr Stanley Mollet Bidmead - 4th Division Signal Company - Died of Wounds (Gas) 08/12/17 - Bologne Eastern Cemetery VIII.I.129 - Born St Peters South Australia & on enlistment lived at 162 Watkins St South Fremantle - Telephonist - Age 20 - Attended Fremantle Boys School and was & Naval Cadet - Enlisted 28/05/16 - Next of Kin (Father) Joseph Bidmead

The only other Fremantle soldier who died with the 4th Division Signal Company, Sapper Carl Eliasson, also died of Gas poisoning, but he died on the 25/10/18 and is buried at Gloucestershire British Cemetery.

Am currently trying to find photos of both so if I find any on Bidmead I'll let you know.

Cheers

Andrew Pittaway

Following on Steven's excellent suggestion and Jim's kindness in locating and providing me a link, I checked the Red Cross records for Stanley did find some very worthwhile info. As shown below, we can see that his parents, perhaps prompted by Lt. Burns' letter to them asked the RC to inquire about the circumstances into his death.

Andrew P: I'm glad to have put forth something of interest--it's great to know that you are researching Stanley and the others from Fremantle. Now I know of a good home for this letter should I ever want to part with it. I certainly would like to see an image of S. if you ever locate one. If anything else turns up about him or any other Fremantle casualty, I will contact you.

Chris

post-1-1089314074.jpg

Here is the medical-related portion of the reply to the RC's inquiry. Although Stanley's gallantry on the battlefield should could be cause for celebration, it appears that his death was a, slow, ugly one. If I am correct in understanding this,

he had already been infected with tuberculosis, but the disease had yet to make its appearance before the gassing.

Chris

post-1-1089314534.jpg

Jon:

RePhoto--if convenient in your travels then by all means, and with great thanks for your consideration. Have a safe trip!

Chris

P.S. Bring me back Sophie Marceau if you run into her.

What am cracking tale is opening up here... one in true PALS style.. help all over the place...

:D

John

Guest stevenbec

I was wondering if the CO of the 3rd Canadian Hosp is known as I didn't notice his name on the document.

And if this is mentioned in their unit War Diary.

Over to our Canadian PALS

S.B

Thanks for that Chris.

It doesn't sound like a very quick death for poor Stanley. On his service record it is stated that he had Gas Conjunctivitis which doesn't sound very nice at all.

For those interested his service record is available on the National Archives of Australia website

http://www.naa.gov.au

Then hit the record search button & type Bidmead & 1914-1918 in the date range.

I was wondering if the CO of the 3rd Canadian Hosp is known as I didn't notice his name on the document.

Steven:

There was a copy in the Red Cross file which contained only the medical info paragraph and was much clearer for a scan, so I only scanned it. Below is the page two of the letter from the hospital back to the RC which contained only that same meidcal info, plus the C.O. signature. As you can see, it's not the easiest to make out. I read it as perhaps J.W. or J.M. Elden

Chris

post-1-1089341210.jpg

Guest dinkidi

G'day.

This raises an issue which has been bubbling away in the sub-concious for a while.

The lower section of the attached memorandum to the NoK of WW1 casualties is headed "Particulars required for the Nation's Histories". Would it be too extreme to express the view that this was a cruel hoax perpetrated by an uncaring Government on a very traumatised section of its population. There does not appear to have been any intention to accumulate the 'particulars' into any formal history.

OK. The records may now, in this age of computerised data systems, provide a personal touch to dedicated researchers, but at what emotional cost to the respondants. Flicking through a very small sample will usually convey the impression that they thought 'their man' would receive due recognition for his efforts. Almost unanimously they find the 'space insufficient' for telling HIS story, and probably waited for the Historians' knock on their door.

I jist dunno!

ooRoo

Pat

post-1-1089418989.gif

I have seen several nok sheets where families attached more pages onto the end as they must have wanted to expand on those few lines allowed to them.

• 4 weeks later...

Many thanks to Forum member Jon Miller, who once again "delivered the goods" and provided this terrific photo of Stanley Bidmead's gravesite, Boulogne Eastern Cemetery. Thanks so much, Jon.

Well, I've tried 6-8 times with no luck. It appears that the mothership isn't doesn't want this pic to dock.

Chris

post-1-1091652823.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hi Chris

I've been asked to nominate some names of soldiers I'm researching for inclusion for future street names for the Fremantle Region. I've included Stanley Bidmead among the 5 names I'm nominating so hopefully in the future there will be a Bidmead street, road or avenue in Fremantle.

Regards

Andrew

Andrew:

Cool--so very cool! Hats off to you for your efforts with the Fremantle guys and, most of all, Bravo for the memory of Stanley Bidmead.

Chris :)