Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Pickelhaube helmet spike & Cockade

biffrocks

Hi

Picked up these 2 items at a car boot sale this morning and are what I believe to be a German Pickelhaube spike and Cockade. These are not items that I know a lot about and someone has asked me if I want to sell them. I was wondering if anyone can help me with what would be a fair price. I hope nobody minds me asking but I haven't got a clue.

Thanks

Rob

german.jpg

german1.jpg

german3.jpg

Yes they are as you suspect a Side Cockade in the Imperial Colours; Red; White & Black & a Brass Pickelhaube helmet spike,with what looks to be a "Bayonet" type fitment ie twist to remove..Nice Car~boot find...I wonder where the rest of it is??

...& a Brass Pickelhaube helmet spike,with what looks to be a "Bayonet" type fitment ie twist to remove..

Not brass, but steel - it is the grey painted removable steel spike off a M-1915 picklehaube, an adaption to help meet war-time manufacturing and conditions of trench warfare:

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/feldgrau/helmets/fgh03.htm

Hi Harry and Andrew

Thanks for the info and taking time to reply. Can I ask if either of you would know what I should ask for them as I stated someone wants to buy them off me and I have no idea what to ask and don't want to make a mistake and sell them too cheaply. I hope you don't mind me asking.

Thanks again.

Rob

They are not worth a huge amount. What did you pay? Do you wish to make a profit or get your money back? If you dont want them and not fussed re profit then what you payed would be a return and the knowledge that whoever buys them would restore a Pickle!

I assume that as you bought them and not wanting them you do wish to make a small gain?

All comes down to what you paid?

TT

Rob

If I were selling them, I'd be happy with £40. If you specifically wanted to find them you'd probably have to pay half as much again, but my personal view is that's a fair asking price. I wouldn't take under £30.

Hope that helps. Don't just take my word though, see if others agree.

Regards,

W.

Rob

If I were selling them, I'd be happy with £40. If you specifically wanted to find them you'd probably have to pay half as much again, but my personal view is that's a fair asking price. I wouldn't take under £30.

Regards,

W.

Hi

Thanks very much for your thoughts on price, I just don't want to give them away as with al of us at the moment every penny counts and I can put the money towards soemthing I would normally collect. I did notice a cockade identical to mine went on eaby in america for £39.00 which did seem a lot to me. I think I need to find out about the spike as that to me would seem a rarer item.

It's great having this forum to ask guys like yourselves.

Cheers

Rob

Rob

Regards,

W.

Hi W

Thanks for your thoughts on price as I don't want to give them away and at the moment every penny counts and then I can put the money towards something I want to collect. I noticed on ebay a cockade identical to mine went for £39.00 which seemed a lot to me. I am guessing the spike would be the rare item but may be wrong.

Cheers again for taking time to post.

Rob

Link to an item that sold. I think if you take this price and the cockade price, that is the top dollar price if you are selling on US ebay. So perhaps a more reasonable amount midway ish between that and what you paid, if you are not putting it up for auction. Keep an eye for a while on completed eBay prices. Cheers, Paul.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/220790441525?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp5197.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D220790441525%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Just as well I said not to take my word! :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi- I am looking for parts, are they for sell ?

Hi Georg

Yes I am thinking of selling them and have just tried to send you a message but your unable to accept messages, pm if your still interested.

Rob

• 4 weeks later...