Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Boot bull-sh1t

Muerrisch

The late Queen Mum could spot an idle soldier from several yards. The sinking feeling if she slowed in front of you and caught your eye and then the RSM's eye made strong soldiers quake.

She was a kindly soul though, one baking hot day she phoned the guardroom and told them to post the sentries facing their boxes. the posts outside St James were (are) a real sun trap.

Not if you "proofed it" with Kiwi Parade Gloss worked in gently with a duster.

I'll have to take your word for it!!! My training corporals attitude towards the stuff was enough to put me off ever trying it for life.

One time, when two of us had particularly shiny boots for our level of service (a couple of days) he quizzed us whether we had used Klear... Never having heard of it but eager to please we keenly nodded and almost found ourselves on a fizzer.

He was a nice enough man and bright enough to quiz us further because presumably to him something didn't ring true about our eagerness to admit the alleged 'offence' and said, show me what you have been using..we dutifully produced our tins of Kiwi Neutral or clear polish which we had used over the black to deepen the gloss.

End of story. :whistle:

could have meant a poor start to my career.

Bees Wax furniture polish on top of the Kiwi gave a deep shine as well.

Hi All

I always thought "Bull-sh1t meant some one telling you a load of porkies :devilgrin: , the word Bull is from the term Bulling your kit, but I could be wrong :w00t: .

Regards.

Gerwyn

Buying a ready bulled pair from an outgoing soldier worked too. They didn't have to fit. One never wore them. I always understood the mantra, Bullsh** baffles brains, to be shorthand for the idea that if you kept uniform and kit smart and shiny, that was better than being clever.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there was some sort of link between 'bulling of boots' and the Bullring at Etaples. I'm not sure prior to WW1 if training grounds in general were ever referred to as bullrings, but the outbreak of war will have changed many things, not least the need to get vast numbers of men from all walks of life into a highly disciplined body. I can well imagine the art of shining up boots in this way was familiar well before the war, but I can also imagine many came to discover its pleasures during their time at the Bullring and similar establishments. I believe the term 'Bullring' comes from the concept of an arena where the bull fighter has to overcome the instinct to run and face a force considerably stronger than he is?

Dave

I do recall that my grandfather pulled me up when I was a spotty ATC lad in the 1970's. He looked at my boots and told me that they were 'cr*p' and that he'd had to fill the gap between the sole and boot with polish in 'his time'. His 'time' would either have been 1914 as a Kitchener recruit or 1921 as a Metropolitan Police recruit.

• 2 weeks later...

Just for practice, try polishing a pair of Household Cavalry Jackboots :excl:

Before the Great War it was not unknown on special occasions, even in Line Cavalry regiments, for Dutymen to be carried from barrack to horse in order to keep kit pristine.

post-79798-0-41587500-1315790782.jpg

My daughter was Met. Police Mounted Branch for many years until recently. Her best boots were my responsibility.

Anecdote: the RAF Uxbridge Guard Mount at the Guardroom 0800 was preceded by the carrying of the Guard to the white line ...... and this in the 1950s. The CO. would arrive a la Guy Gibson 0800 sharp: open top green Bentley, black labrador, the lot.

Hello Troops,

I had many a "happy" hour bulling my Highland Brogues preparing for the Queen's Colours Parade held at Holyrood on the 2nd July this year. The Royal Regiment of Scotland received its colours (except for 4 Scots), and as a TA member in 7 Scots, I attended the parade.

One of our older soldiers, an ex-regular, demonstated the ideal method for bulling ( thanks Ginge! )...

First of all, the entire shoe was ironed to get rid of the grain on the leather. It was then covered by hand, with a thick layer of polish, and left to dry for a while. The shoe was then briefly burned to get rid of excess oils, and to let polish penetrate. The rest of the task was to build up layers of polish with a cloth and water as others have described on this topic. I was advised to build up layers of black, brown, and clear polish to obtain "depth" of shine. The job takes hours to achieve, and a good sense of humour is essential.

I will point out that in Highland dress, we wear shoes and spats.

At the end of the parade, I received a souvenir mug for the effort!

Cheers,

Owain.

Hi Owain

A iron, now that was technology :o , we used a candle and spoon :wacko:

Regards.

Gerwyn

• 1 year later...

I am sure there's a pair of B5s that have been bulled (although it's labelled as something else that escapes me) in the Hampshire's museum in Winchester.

• 2 weeks later...

Bottles of 'Instant Shine' appeared in late 50's. Liquid polish, painted on with applicator, which produced a mirror like shine. BUT and that's a big BUT - could only be used for display boots. If leather was flexed in any degree the shine 'fell off' in large pieces. I bought a pair of boots, used the liquid, and never had to bull for kit inspection purposes ever again. Best boots were completely burned and bulled whereas second pair had only toe and heel caps done.