Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Training

steve fuller

Possible / probable that Ive missed the detail in all the reading have been doing, but havent noticed anywhere how long they were in training before being battle ready?

I would assume the TF's took less time than the fresh guys, but how long did they take to train up?

Steve

Hi Steve,

It's worth checking out the main website for this - there is a run through on training - I think usually no less than 14 weeks + Etaples, but under some circumstances - such as the first tunnellers - a few days. Don't know about the TF.

rgds

doogal

Guest Rob2347

Steve

One could say that their training was on going, but no matter how much training they received could have prepared them for the horrors ahead.

Rob

If of assistance. NZ troops in 1914 were assembled in Territorial based units (Bns supplying Coys) and sent off overseas with a minimum of organisation. Most NZ TF units marched into camp by 16 Aug 1914 and were dispatched overseas by Sept 23rd 1914. The basis of the quick mobilisation being that they were already partly trained troops. Further training occored in Egypt, and the troops were first committed to action in defence of the Suez Canel in Jan 1915 and saw their first fighting in Feb 03 1914 against the Turks.

So we are looking at 5.5 months from mobilization to the two way rifle range. Obviously there was not a lot of usefull training that could be conducted on the troop ships apart from repitition of musketry drills, limited PT and lectures.

Once the war effort was in full swing, troops in NZ recieved 5 weeks elementry training in Featherston, then moved to Trentham for a further 8 weeks before being shipped out. During the Gallipoli Campaign, reinforcements from NZ trained in Egypt before being drafted to Gallipoli (I cannot find a ref for the length of time, but I have a feeling it was not long) however once in France, NZ reinforcement drafts went to Sling Camp in the UK before being shiped overseas. The stay in Sling was meant to be 30 days instruction, however with pressing needs, men were sent overseas after two days instruction.

Obviously once in France they entered into the training camps there before being dispatched up the line, etc. But this should give you a rough idea that idealy a soldier (given that NZ was simply replicating the UK system) should recieve a minimum of 17 weeks full time training before being dispatched to France.

Whoops, sorry, NZ tps were in action in the Suez Canel on 03 Feb 1915

Not 1914 as previously mentioned. My mistake. I will allocate myself some extras as punishment.

It's been bugging me all day, and I have finaly found it.

The first contingent arrived in Alexandria and was formed in camp by 09 Dec 1914.

"At the end of January the troops were well advanced in their training; so that on news being recieved on the 25th that the Turks were advancing on the Suez Canel in three columns the NZ Infantry Brigade was considered fit to support the 11th (Indian) Div which was holding the defence of the Canal" (Pg 13: The History of the Canterbury Regiment NZEF 1914 - 1919. Pub 1921)

So about a months worth of training in Egypt for the first lot of tps to arrive. After that there doesnt appear to be any sort of time frame for training, I assume that the tps in the reinforcement drafts were given time to acclimatise in Egypt, and then pushed across as reinforcements when shipping permitted.

A whole cadre of artillery signallers and telephonists training in Wharfedale 1915 were pulled out of training with very short notice and sent to btys. asap. Hadn't finished training so were 'section mug-abouts' until more of the 'suicide squad' became casualties. They soon did.