Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Map, October 1918, Spriete, Desselghem etc

Beselare

I am helping a friend to be able to visit the area where his grandfather was killed on 20th October 1918 (1st Battn. Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers). He has obtained the war diary for 19/20 October 1918 from the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers Association. The diary was very accurately recorded with many trench references.

Unfortunately, the Naval & Military Press trench map CD does not go further east than Roselare and the area concerned is north-east of Kortrijk and Harlebeke New British Cemetery. Does anyone have a trench map of the region which includes the villages of Spriete, Desselghem, Dries and Moatadem? The trench references are all concerned with squares B and C.

Many thanks

Bob Findley

(e-mail address: motcom@aol.com)

Bob

This is the best I can do 1:20,000 Map

John

post-1365-0-74138500-1307437792.jpg

Hi Bob. This link should take you to Map 29 on the McMaster site

Hi Diane

Many thanks for the link. I didn't know that the McMaster site existed. I have visited it and though I would regard myself as being of average intelligence, I can't find my way around the site to locate the trench maps. When you have the time, could you please let me know what 'clicks' and entries you made to get to this particular map.

Kind Regards

Bob

Bob

This is the best I can do 1:20,000 Map

John

Hi John

Many thanks for your help.

Regards, Bob

Hello,

While you are in the area don't forget to visit Harlebeke MC, Vichte MC, Ingoyghem MC and the Kleineberg ( between Ingoyghem and Anseghem, in modern flemisch Ingooigem en Anzegem), the site where Pte. Norman Harvey, 1st Inniskillings Fusiliers won his Victoria Cross. If you need info or scans on that, I have sheet 29, NW,SW, NE and SE. Don't hesitate to contact me, glad to help.

Kind regards,

Jef

Hi Bob. This is the address for the McMaster Maps and you simply click on the area you wish to view [numbers correspond to official trench maps]; you are then taken to the various maps relating to that area whether it be NW, SW, and, if you click on one of the small maps on the lefthand side you will be taken to that map. Voila! Use the zoom [+] [-] buttons and click and drag yourself around it.

Another convert :thumbsup:

Diane

I use Linesman its a lot better, of course it costs you money.

John

Hello,

While you are in the area don't forget to visit Harlebeke MC, Vichte MC, Ingoyghem MC and the Kleineberg ( between Ingoyghem and Anseghem, in modern flemisch Ingooigem en Anzegem), the site where Pte. Norman Harvey, 1st Inniskillings Fusiliers won his Victoria Cross. If you need info or scans on that, I have sheet 29, NW,SW, NE and SE. Don't hesitate to contact me, glad to help.

Kind regards,

Jef

Hi Jef - many thanks for the information and your offer of help.

Kind Regards

Bob