Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli Casualty Route?

steve fuller

Hello all

Has anyone seen info on or learned about the route the hopsital ships (?) took from Gallipoli battle zone to Blighty, cos if you have Id be very grateful to learn about it!

Specifically, a Bedfordshire soldier (if it makes a difference), ports stopped at, entry port to UK, and where from there (i have the Western Front Casualty info from the main page already) ...

Thank you again

Steve

I don't have the information you are after. But I have just read the poem by Nazim Hikmet (or the English translation thereof) that describes what happened to Ottoman casualties:

By the time the sun was setting

They took us out...

Medics put us on horsecarts.

One on top of another,

Like empty wheatbags...

Ten, fifteen wounded on a cart.

Some cry out

Some die that minute...

The roads of Ari Burnu are bumpy.

It is dark.

I am lying on my back.

Another body underneath wriggles,

On my chest, a pair of legs, but

Half of one is missing.

We are going downhill.

By morning we arrived at the pier.

There is a tent.

Someone shouts from inside the tent:

'Where are you from?'

'Such and such.'

'What is your father's name?'

'So and so.'

'What is your name?'

'So and so.'

'Driver throw him down.'

The pain is unbearable,

I swore at the driver.

Obviously used to this, he said

'Swear my brother

As much as you like.'

We were laid on the sand.

The sea comes and goes...

Maybe a thousand wounded on the beach,

Maybe more.

In the afternoon

Came a ship:

With two stacks,

Painted the colour of the sea

They loaded us on to it

Shouting, swearing

Again like empty bags.

Inside the ship it was hell.

Blood squelching,

Steam,

Oil,

Sweat.

They took me down to the hold.

We sailed.

Seven days seven nights.

Maggots appeared in my wounds...

Black headed

White bodied...

Maggots are smart,

When I look, they bury

Themselves in the wounds.

Seven days seven nights.

If Allah doesn't kill, he doesn't

The Turk is strong,

He can endure...

Around nightfall, I was taken ashore...

Istanbul glittering.

My precious Istanbul.

We entered a hospital.

The walls gleaming white...

They put me on a trolley.

So comfortable.

Powerful stuff

Robert

Steve

I presume initial moves would be Mudros, then Alexandria (which was, I think, the major hospital and recuperation centre). Route might then be direct to UK, but I have seen indications that casualties were disembarked at Marseilles. Presumably, they would then have been moved north by train and then re-embarked at the Channel ports).

Happy to be corrected by the Gallipoli buffs (cue Wills').

John

The following is clipped from CWGC Pieta Cemetery , Malta:-

"From the spring of 1915, the hospitals and convalescent depots established on the islands of Malta and Gozo dealt with over 135,000 sick and wounded, chiefly from the campaigns in Gallipoli and Salonika, ............"

Also see a reference to that campaign at here where someone previously asked about Gallipoli.

In the absence of better information, we can fall back on our ever useful on-line Canadian War Diaries, which you can find in the usual place, here:

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/02/02015202_e.html

There were no Canadian units on the penninsula (Newfoundland was not part of Canada in those days), but several Canadian hospitals were in the theatre. Nos. 1 and 3 Canadian Stationary Hospitals were at Mudros from August, 1915. I have not gone through their diaries in detail, but they seem to give a good idea of the initial evacuation situation. The 3rd CSH information is in the form of reports written on the boat on the way back, so is dated April, 1916. Below is a map snippet to whet your appetites.

In general, it seems casualties went to Egypt, but there are references to loading hospital ships direct for England.

No. 3 Canadian Stationary Hospital was in Cairo at this time. Their diary (what there is of it!) is also interesting, although we may have to speculate where their casualties came from.

I hope this is of use.

post-5-1089236347.jpg

I have traced one man of my grandad's unit from Gallipoli back to Alexandria (one of the few hospital documents still remaining in the NA-PRO) from where he was shipped back to UK. Also Vera Brittain describes her time at Malta looking after Gallipoli personnel.

Hi Steve

I have a copy of a diary of a member of the 2nd Australian Stationary Hospital who for the first few months of the campaign was stationed on hospital ships off Cape Helles & Anzac Cove.

Sometimes the hospital ships went straight back to Alexandria, other times they went to Egypt via Lemnos or Malta or they unloaded all their patients in Malta before going back for more.

Your Bedfordshire soldier might have stopped at one of these ports before making it back to England.

Cheers

Andrew

Lovely stuff. Thank you all. Will be looking into all your leads!

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I recently came across reference to soldiers from Gallipoli being transferred to hospitals in Gibralter as well.

Robert

Andrew

Was he on the "Alaunia" about the time of the Lone Pine / Nek battles?

Pat

Hi Pat

I'll check what he was doing at the time of Lone Pine and get back to you. He was detailed to casualty evacuation on the ships for the first few months before being stationed at Lemnos.

Regards

Andrew

Pat

Checked the diary and by the time of the August battles he was on ward duty at the 2nd Australian Stationary Hospital where he was busy with the casualties coming in.

"Many of the unfortunate fellows were sent to Lemnos and I saw for the first time the awful treatment metted out to these unfortunate fellows who have so nobly done their duty and served their part at Anzac".

There was an entry for 21st July which may interest some.

"During the past few days I have been doing as little as possible owing to the state of my stomach which is still very painful and tender. Today General Hunter Weston was brought on board as a walking case, and among his luggage was a set of golf clubs and two lounge chairs"

Anyone know if Hunter-Weston got much golf in while he was there?

Andrew,

Many thanks for that detail re H-W; it would be nearly impossible to make something up about this guy. Speaking to Compton Mackenzie, he referred to his dug-out as the ‘baronial hall’ though obviously he did not have to do any of the digging. Someone pointed out that of all the figures from Gallipoli, H-W is perhaps the only major one who did not put pen to paper after the war to justify his place in history. I also think that his time at Gallipoli was entirely missing from his entry in ‘Who’s Who.’ And yet, despite everything, he was popular [exactly why, I don’t know] and he was an MP after the war. I seem also to remember that he died after a fall from a window or balcony or some such place at the family seat.

Regards

Michael D.R.

Guest dinkidi

Andrew

Thanks for the look-up!

The Hospital could have adopted the motto

"Casualties? We care for casualties, Even Hunter-Wilson!"

Someone would have to whip it into Latin though.

ooRoo

Pat

Hi Michael & Pat

Looking at some of the attacks he ordered I can't understand how he could be as popular as he was.

Did the soldiers & people back home blame Hamilton for the attacks rather than Hunter Weston?

Regards

Andrew

Andrew,

I can’t say who they blamed instead of H-W

Gen Paris was genuinely upset by his callous attitude to casualties

however I am tempted to think that the poor bloody infantrymen expected no better

One is reminded of Sassoon’s lines

“’He’s a cheery old card,’ grunted Harry to Jack

As they slogged up to Arras with rifle and pack.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

But he did for them both by his plan of attach.”

Regards

Michael D.R.

Guest dinkidi

Andrew

I don't think the average Australian "student" or relative got to hear much about H-W! I'm almost ashamed to say that I knew almost zero about second Krithia until fairly recently and was amazed at the 2nd brigade carnage [ resisted the urge for decimation ;) ]

Not to trivialise, the old KISS principle may have decreed that having Hamilton to blame would be enough.

ooRoo

Pat

• 1 month later...

Besides Alexandria many wouned from Gallipoli were taken to Cairo. the hospital at the citadel was much more advanced than anything Alex had so many ended up there. cairo and Heliopolis cemeteries add to the testament of those who gave the ultimate sacfrifice at Gallipoli.

Anyone know if Hunter-Weston got much golf in while he was there?

That'd explain why the Turk snipers were so effective; getting to practice on the General's balls as they fly through the air would make them pretty accurate marksmen! :rolleyes:

Telaw; cheers for that. Came across Citadel when exploring another casualty route few months ago. Would they move someone from Alex to Citadel after an Operation, or leave them where they are to recover?

Telaw; cheers for that. Came across Citadel when exploring another casualty route few months ago. Would they move someone from Alex to Citadel after an Operation, or leave them where they are to recover?

Yes, it seems a lot of patients were moved from Alex to the Citadel to convalesce and enjoy the sights of Cairo. Though most had seem them prior to departing for Gallipoli. I'm still waiting to get a tour of the old hospital buildings.

Tom

Understood mate. Ive got a jpeg of the Citadel layout if you want it - prob a pic or two somewhere as well? Let me know if its any use?

Thanks Tom

Steve :D