Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

E.s. War memorial?

doogal

As the topic description; I've seen the letters E.S. After a number of soldier's names. I'd be grateful if someone could tell me what it means.

Thanks

Doogal

East Surrey regiment?

Andy

East Surrey regiment?

Andy

The 'official' abbreviation was E.Surr.R

The 'official' abbreviation was E.Surr.R

Yes, but we all know that 'official' designations didn't always apply to war memorials (in respect of this example, I've also seen 'E.S.R.' and 'East Surreys').

Personally, I can't think of anything else that it could be, especially if it related to several different names.

Any more info, Doogal? Are these men all on the same memorial?

I've seen the letters E.S. After a number of soldier's names.

It may help if you can you quote an example please?

I've seen the letters E.S. After a number of soldier's names.

It may help if you can you quote an example please?

I'll get a photo, but it will be Wednesday before I can do it.

I noticed the letters because they are placed/appear to be used in the same way that a corps designation would be: ie like RGA or RFA for example.

Anyhow, watch this space for a photo on Wednesday!

Thanks to all

Rgds

doogal

Hello Doogal

Assuming that the war memorial is a list of those who died, and not a list of those from the locality who served, a quicker way might be to search the Debt of Honour section of the CWGC website, www.cwgc.org for a few of the less common names and see which regiments/corps they belonged to. Note that some battalions of the London Regiment had some sort of affiliation to the East Surreys.

I would say that East Surrey Regt is the most likely, especially if the memorial is in Surrey or South London. As headgardener has pointed out, local war memorials often did not use the "official" Army List abbreviations, especially if space was short.

Ron

The memorial in Bucklebury Church uses the abbreviation 'RB' because it fitted the width of the panels on the pillars of the nave. Another example of an unofficial abbreviation. Stonemasons charge by the number of letters carved, so these abbreviations might be an economy measure.

• 5 months later...

possibles?

J R Webb, East Surrey Regt

http://www.cwgc.org/...casualty=820010

F Monger, Royal West Surrey Regiment

http://www.cwgc.org/...casualty=314623

Name:Frederick MongerBirth Place:Barnes, SurreyResidence:BarnesDeath Date:25 Mar 1918Death Location:France & FlandersEnlistment Location:Richmond, SurreyRank:PrivateRegiment:Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment)Battalion:8th BattalionNumber:G/38804Type of Casualty:Died of woundsTheatre of War:Western European TheatreComments:Formerly 19127, E. Surrey Regt.

Name:Frederick Monger Birth Place:Barnes, SurreyResidence:BarnesDeath Date:25 Mar 1918Death Location:France & FlandersEnlistment Location:Richmond, SurreyRank:PrivateRegiment:Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment)Battalion:8th BattalionNumber:G/38804Type of Casualty:Died of woundsTheatre of War:Western European TheatreComments:Formerly 19127, E. Surrey Regt.

If only we could confirm his nickname was "Fish" !!!! laugh.giflaugh.gif