The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Red Cross Index Cards

Jonathan_NW

I've been reading conflicting articles about the impending digitization of the Red Cross Index cards that I believe are held in Geneva? Could anyone tell me exactly what information they contain and about who? Will they contain information about wounded soldiers or just those Killed in Action?

Jonathan

Hello Jonathan

We are talking about the International Red Cross here, whose role was to inspect prisoner-of-war camps and ensure that deaths and wounds/injuries were duly reported to the prisoners' own nations. Handling of battlefield and other casualties was the responsibility of the nations' own Army medical authorities, not the Red Cross, although the British Red Cross Society did provide certain medical and hospital facilities to the British Army.

Ron

Hello Jonathan

It its of any help and relevant there is a link to the Red Cross posted by Sue Light in my thread on Ruth Danzie Parker on Page 3 of the Women sub-Forum.

Peridot

It its of any help and relevant there is a link to the Red Cross posted by Sue Light in my thread on Ruth Danzie Parker on Page 3 of the Women sub-Forum.

Unfortunately the British Red Cross Archives only supply information on BRCS/St.John workers, male and female, who worked for them during both world wars. It's entirely separate from the information held on soldiers by the International Red Cross.

Sue