Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

east lancs cap badge

jwp2007

picked up this cap badge at a local market for a few quid,the badge has a kings crown but the rose is in silver coloured metal, the rest brass coloured, looking through my books at home this seems to be the wrong way round,ie: rose should be brass,rest silver,think there was an all brass version produced in ww1,

just wondered if this version was the real deal or have i been duped !!,(it has the title egypt under the sphink )

kind regards,

john.

John, It's the badge of the 3rd (Special Reserve) Battalion who were previously a Militia battalion (before 1881) and the reversed colours of the badge commemorate the official difference between regular and militia insignia when the former wore brass/GM and the latter wore silver/WM. They were previously the 5th Royal Lancashire Militia and in 1881 became the 3rd (Militia) Battalion East Lancashire Regt and after 1908 the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion East Lancashire Regt.

post-599-0-18373800-1307121255.jpg

many thanks indeed for all the information,the colours are the same,only difference mine has a kings crown as seen on ww1/ww2 versions,

kind regards,

john.

many thanks indeed for all the information,the colours are the same,only difference mine has a kings crown as seen on ww1/ww2 versions,

kind regards,

john.

I have an image of a Kings Crown badge, but it is blurred so I used the QVC instead. Your badge was worn after 1902. It was still the 3rd Bn (SR) East Lancs.

this reversed metals badge was worn by the 3rd Bn upto circa 1908 and probably a little beyond. It was not produced after 1908 as the reserve bn would have worn the usual bi badge. According to Gaylor's book a quantity turned up just after WW1 and were sent to the TF Bn. WEhether this was a maker's error or old stock is unknown. This badge has been faked.

this reversed metals badge was worn by the 3rd Bn upto circa 1908 and probably a little beyond. It was not produced after 1908 as the reserve bn would have worn the usual bi badge. According to Gaylor's book a quantity turned up just after WW1 and were sent to the TF Bn. WEhether this was a maker's error or old stock is unknown. This badge has been faked.

You have no evidence that it has been faked whatsoever so that is a bold and hasty statement to make. Even if none were made after 1908 that still leaves badges with both QVC and KC in existence and will even include both lugged and slider variants of the latter. Admittedly such badges must be rare by now but that does not mean that this particular badge is necessarily a 'fake'.