Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Loos 1915: The Unwanted Battle.

armourersergeant

Have just noted that this is due October by Corrigan.

His previous book 'Sepoys in the Trenches' I believe gets good reviews, though 'Mud, Blood and Poppycock' gets mixed receptions.

With so little out there on this subject I am hoping that it will delve deeply into the use of the reserve under Haking and 21st and 24th Divisions.

regards

Arm.

Should be interesting.

Another book on Loos, by forum member Nial Cherry, is also due out this year.

We might finally be well served with some decent books on this forgotten battle!

Sepoys was fine, did not get new book cause of criticism here, heard him talk at NAM, good, nice bloke too - that was for you Greenwoodman! ;)

• 4 months later...

According to Amazon it is already out but i have yet to see it in the shops, so i could sneak a view at the index.

So I am wondering if this is delayed?

regards

Arm.

Oh Poo!

Well then Nial whens yours due?

Arm.

Most Unfavourable ground is Nials

Oh blooming heck!

A case of reading what i think it says and not what it actually says.

Sorry.

Arm.

Sorry to disappoint folks but I've always been told by Helion and Co that 'Most Unfavourable Ground' would be out in 2005 and I hope there isn't much slippage from the March date.....

If anyone wants to be kept informed please email me at niall.cherry@baesystems.com

However on a totally different war if anyone is looking for a good book for Christmas I have 3 excellent airborne books for sale, Paul Reed would I'm sure confirm this.

Titles available:

B Company Arrived- the story of B Company of the 2nd Parachute Btn at Arnhem

Nine Days at Arnhem- the CANLOAN Officers with the 7th KOSB at Arnhem

By Land Sea and Air- an illustrated history of the 2nd South Staffords in WW2

These books are also on amazon but probably more expensive than buying from me!

Niall Cherry

• 4 months later...

I understand this book (Most Unfavourable Ground) has just recently become available, or should be available shortly. Can anyone confirm... Niall?

I also noticed Loos 1915: The Unwanted Battle but hard back only. Are there any softbacks out there yet? What about the UK price, can it beat (approx)17 quid which I found here?

Andy

Any future book from Corrigan I will borrow from library to see if it any good. MB&P useful if you have a table with one short leg.

I also noticed Loos 1915: The Unwanted Battle  but hard back only.  Are there any softbacks out there yet?  What about the UK price, can it beat (approx)17 quid which I found here?

Andy

14 Quid on Amazon (UK).

Nials (Most Unfav') £25, out in April '05 (So it says).

I shall be buying both.

Mark.

There was an expose of Amazon on Radio 4 this week, which perhaps explains their advertising of Corrigan's book. It seems that as soon as a book is announced it is put on the system. If it hasn't appeared after a while it gets relegated to the "hard to get" & "delivery 4-6 weeks" category - it often does not get removed and peole ordering get an email confirming 4-6 weeks and then when it doesn't appear, they get a further 4-6 weeks email. This can go on for some time. Once they do discover that it is not being published it does get removed.

There were a number of volumes that for various reasons have never been published but were listed on Amazon, though the publicity has now weeded some of these out. Amongst them was the sequel to "Gone With The Wind" called "Tara" which was not published following legal action by the "owners" of the original.