Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medals on a postwar (?) photo

4thGordons

I know this is asking rather a lot but can anyone identify the medals here? It looks to me to be something then 14-15star, BWM and Victory Medal on the chap at the rear.

post-14525-0-08624700-1307049823.jpg

This is about as good as I can get it.

The photos (4) are of a funeral of (presumably) a Gordon Highlander (of some importance?) as there is quite a long cortege and a good number of officers present. One shot shows a volley being fired over the grave and another what looks like the pipe band leading the procession accross a rather desolate landscape.

Although the medals (if I have correctly identified them) would make it a post war picture - I note that several of the officers still have cuff rank tunics...but with a Highland Division (HD) shoulder flash.

I was hoping I might be able to identify whose funeral this was and the first step was to ensure I had the time period correct. The architecture of a couple of buildings in the background looks correct for the NE of Scotland and the photos came from Aberdeen.

TIA

Chris

Chris; are we missing a post and a photo here? All I can see is a close-up of one uniformed officer who, given by the fact that his "lowest" medal appears to be a cross, appears to have a foreign decoration. Antony

Chris; are we missing a post and a photo here? All I can see is a close-up of one uniformed officer who, given by the fact that his "lowest" medal appears to be a cross, appears to have a foreign decoration. Antony

Hi Antony

Ummm.... no! I posted a close up (detail from a picture) which shows (at least to me) two uniformed officers, flanking a civilian pallbearer. Both officers appear to have at least 4 medals. (are you viewing on a small screen and need to scroll :blink: ?)

Alex,

Thanks - office? (sorry medals not my thing)

Chris

Some details

post-14525-0-01505200-1307056698.jpg

FRONT OFFICER

post-14525-0-31239000-1307056686.jpg

REAR OFFICER

Chris

QSA or DCM would be on the other end of his medals preceding the trio.

I think there is a medal there isn't there? I just posed another detail to try and clarify.

Chris

Belgian Medal could be Decoration Militaire [5] & concur French Croix de Guerre [6]

Hi Antony

Ummm.... no! I posted a close up (detail from a picture) which shows (at least to me) two uniformed officers, flanking a civilian pallbearer. Both officers appear to have at least 4 medals. (are you viewing on a small screen and need to scroll :blink: ?)

Alex,

Thanks - office? (sorry medals not my thing)

Chris

Sorry, Chris. At my age :wacko: I have the magnification turned up for text and so the full pic didn't show. My apologies for causing confusion. Glad to see that khaki and HB concurred with my views on what I could see. Antony